Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Set up question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set up question

Hey all,
I am looking for some assistance from anyone who knows more than me, which should be just about anyone.

My wife and I just bought a house and are having new carpet installed in the family room. I was going to hold off on buying a new receiver/speakers/tv until after we settled in, until my wife suggested that buying these and laying the wires before the carpet is installed might be beneficial.

I am not sure how to do this...

Do I have the carpet guys simply install the carpet on top of the speaker wire and leave myself some slack for the surrounds?

I am planning on buying the Onkyo SR 606 receiver and the Onkyo SKS-H240 speaker package. I assume that it makes sense to upgrade the speaker wire, but I don't know what to select or how much wire to leave for the surrounds.
Any recommendations on the speaker wire I should purchase? How much length should I leave?

The room is 15 x 16.

The carpet will be installed on July 7th.

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-29-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those probably don't come with wire, so you need it, anyway. If you are going to have a pad under the carpet, it probably won't matter what wire you buy. If no pad, you may want to look for something extra thin. There is Monster Superflat that is thinner than most. Or there is truly tape-thin wire, also. But not real cheap.

You definitely want no smaller than 16AWG wire. I always recommend going straight to 12AWG. (smaller number means larger wire) Many are happy with 16 or 14. Easy to buy at Home Depot or similar stores for the normal wire.

If they will play nice and let you run the wire, maybe tape it into place first. Leave enough to get to where the speakers will be, plus a foot or so.
Old 06-29-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On second thought, leave plenty of extra. You can always cut some off. More of a pain to splice extra if it is too short.
Old 06-30-08, 02:04 AM

thanks