Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Current HDMI DVD players at BestBuy that support Dual Audio Out?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Do any of the current dvd players (upconverting HDMI players, that is) allow HDMI audio to the TV AND digital coax/optical out to the receiver at the same time? I would even be happy with analog out to TV and digital out to receiver...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....d=abcat0102005

is the current list of players - or look online at your local BestBuy ad -

If there is one, I will pick it up soon...

Or will every 'mainstream' player block this feature with all the copyright stuff going on?

Thanks a TON,

Matt!
Old 06-08-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think many of them will, but I have no idea on how to check, other than letting people who own certain players chime in. I don't think copyright would be a problem at all with this.

The players I have with HDMI are an HD DVD player and the PS3. I think the HD DVD player will output both at the same time. At least, I remember that I didn't have to change anything to get optical out when HDMI was connected and set up (I used optical temporarily to do a firmware update on a receiver). However, I'm sure you're not considering one of those.

The PS3 doesn't either, as it will only output video and audio out of one corresponding output at a time.

Bear in mind that if you ever get a receiver with HDMI, many of them (maybe all) won't pass the audio through to the TV and decode and play it through speakers at the same time. So, you'll definitely want the capability in the player.
Old 06-10-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pioneer DV-410 (which is what I have) has both outputs. Both are simultaneously active. I have HDMI running to my TV, and digital coax (IIRC) to the receiver. (I have an older receiver that doesn't have HDMI)

...I've found that there's a very small, but noticeable, delay in the sound, though. It sounds like everyone is speaking in an echo-y cave. You can probably adjust it so that the two outputs synch, but I never watch DVD's through the TV speakers. So, I just have to remember to hit mute on the TV. So, you might want to dl the manual to see if the sound output timing can be adjusted if you plan on listening to both simultaneously.

Last edited by edclem; 06-10-08 at 08:52 AM.