Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba DVD Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toshiba DVD Recorder

I have decided to buy a DVD Recorder, and I was looking at this one: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...21&catid=22226

Originally I was looking at this one, but haven't heard anything good about it:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...30&catid=22226

Anyone know anything about either? I don't really know anything about recorders.
Old 03-31-08, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see mixed reviews of almost all of them. But a lot of the negative reviews come from people who don't understand the issues of recording DVD, and have little to do with the specific model recorder. Basically it comes down to 2 things. Will the recordings look good, and will the machine make coasters.

One place to look for user comments is videohelp.com. Note compatibility issues with whichever models you research, some recorders have difficulty with some media brands or types. So selecting media may be more important than selecting a machine.

I happen to like Panasonic recorders, and find they get the best reviews from others, as well. Both in picture quality and media compatibility. Add premium Taiyo Yuden media, and I get perfect results every time.
Old 04-04-08, 04:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
I see mixed reviews of almost all of them. But a lot of the negative reviews come from people who don't understand the issues of recording DVD, and have little to do with the specific model recorder. Basically it comes down to 2 things. Will the recordings look good, and will the machine make coasters.

One place to look for user comments is videohelp.com. Note compatibility issues with whichever models you research, some recorders have difficulty with some media brands or types. So selecting media may be more important than selecting a machine.

I happen to like Panasonic recorders, and find they get the best reviews from others, as well. Both in picture quality and media compatibility. Add premium Taiyo Yuden media, and I get perfect results every time.
Thanks.

I ended up picking up the Toshiba one because it seemingly had more qualities than the other and I got a deal... but now I have a bigger problem.

I have an HD cable box... with no RF output. Effectively... I am screwed, am I not? I can get the DVD Recorder to record movies, but no sound is present when watching the DVDs/when watching TV through the recorder.

No HD cable boxes here have RF outputs... does that mean essentially that you can't hook DVD recorders up to them?
Old 04-04-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, no. Don't use RF for anything unless your TV is so old that's all it has for an input. Use Svideo and red/white audio for recording DVD. Cable boxes tend to be limited on outputs, it can be a pain to figure it all out. Hopefully it has HDMI to go to your TV, and you can use Svideo for the recorder.

And I wouldn't watch TV through the recorder, it isn't HD and it is bound to mess with the signal. I know mine does, it changes the brightness, color, etc. I suppose I could minimize that with lots of tweaking, but it really isn't worth it when you can just watch directly.
Old 04-05-08, 07:28 AM
Suspended

No, no. Don't use RF for anything unless your TV is so old that's all it has for an input. Use Svideo and red/white audio for recording DVD. Cable boxes tend to be limited on outputs, it can be a pain to figure it all out. Hopefully it has HDMI to go to your TV, and you can use Svideo for the recorder.

And I wouldn't watch TV through the recorder, it isn't HD and it is bound to mess with the signal. I know mine does, it changes the brightness, color, etc. I suppose I could minimize that with lots of tweaking, but it really isn't worth it when you can just watch directly.
See, my DVD Recorder manual says to do this (and I will do this as clearly as possible, I really need help here because I'm against the wall now - I can't hook it up anywhere else and to return it is 2 hours away):

Cable TV Company coax -> Cable box Ant. In.
Cable box (coax) RF. Out -> DVD Recorder (coax) Ant In.
DVD Recorder Ant (coax). Out -> Ant. In on TV SET
RCA cords Cable Box Out -> DVD Recorder Video In
RCA cords DVD Recorder Out ->RCA In TV set

Now, the problem is my HD Cable box has no RF Out... so how can I hook this up so it works? I do have HDMI output on my Cable box (if it doesn't, I could get one that does), but I don't use HDMI to hook things up, so I am not sure if that effects anything. The manual doesn't show at all how to use HDMI to hook it up.

If anyone has any help I'd appreciate it, because as of right now I'm out $150 with no chance of any success without you folks.
Old 04-05-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the recorder have svideo input? If so, use it. Plus red and white RCAs for audio.

If it doesn't have svideo, use the yellow RCA instead. Plus the red and white for audio.

RF is not good for between the machines. They put that in the manual as an option, but like I said above, it is only if that's your only choice.
Old 04-05-08, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Does the recorder have svideo input? If so, use it. Plus red and white RCAs for audio.

If it doesn't have svideo, use the yellow RCA instead. Plus the red and white for audio.

RF is not good for between the machines. They put that in the manual as an option, but like I said above, it is only if that's your only choice.
So... how would I actually hook it up then? I've never used S-Video, but it does have it and so does my TV.

My problem is a lack of audio, though. The video shows up fine. I have it hooked up exactly as it shows there (minus the coax cables that my cable box doesn't have) and I get no audio.
Old 04-06-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check the audio settings in the cable box. Perhaps the audio is turned off somewhere.

And double check that you have the wires going to the proper spots on the recorder. You mentioned above that you can't get any sound from the DVDR. That suggests there is a problem on the wire between the DVDR and TV. Make sure it is DVDR Output to TV Input. Standard red/white should be fine.

I would think:
-one HDMI cable to the TV
-one Svideo cable to the recorder
-one set of red/white audio cables to the recorder

That should be all the wires you need coming out of the cable box. But it depends on whether the box works like that. I've had a terrible time with some of my parents' boxes, they are just weird. The sat companies always make their boxes work with advanced setups (with audio receivers, DVD recorders, etc.), I don't see why the cable companies can't do the same. But they prefer to assume you have one TV, one cable box, and nothing else. So they limit the connection possibilities.

Oh, and from DVDR to TV, of course:
-component video + red/white audio from the recorder to the TV.
Old 04-06-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one other thing I can recommend as a first-time DVDR user is to pick up some re-writable DVDs. I would recommend TDK for this. Make sure you get the proper ones that your recorder can handle, there are DVD-RW and DVD+RW. If it can use both, +RW is superior for ease of use.

Use these at first so if you make mistakes in learning how to use the machine you haven't wasted a disc. They are a lot more expensive than basic discs, but you only need a couple, most likely. I bought a package of 5 or 6 at first, never bought any again.
Old 04-06-08, 12:18 PM

I have a Toshiba DVD recorder (older model, DR400)... works fine for me. It also up-converts up to 1080p, which will come in handy when I go HD.

It works great for the most part -- I recommend using the 2-hr per disc mode, which seems to reproduce the tv broadcast pretty faithfully. I also recommend using DVD-Rs for anything you may want to use on another player, as that is the format that is most universally recognized on a wide array of DVD players. So far I've been using Sony discs with 100% success... I've read horror stories about off-brands being nothing but coasters. Discs go on sale all the time, just wait for a good deal.

Happy recording!