Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Speaker wire = Automotive wire???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 10:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, please forgive my ignorance in advance.

First...is there a big difference between "front speakers" and "rear speakers" or are they pretty much interchangeable as far as hook-up is concerned?

Second...We bought new home entertainment furniture and a new HD TV. When setting everything up, we discovered the speaker wire for my center speaker was long enough, but the wires to the right & left ("front speakers"?) were not. My father-in-law brought red & black "automotive wire" which he said is the same thing as speaker wire, however after hooking them up, we get nothing from any speaker but the center speaker (which is using the aforementioned speaker wire). Are they the same type of wires, which means something is wrong with my receiver, or are they different insomuch as to prevent sound travelling through them to the speakers?
Old 01-22-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Are the speakers the same, i.e. four identical speaker? If so then there is no difference in placement.

2) I have an idea what you are talking about, and there should be no difference between the "types" of wire. I would check the A/B setting on your speakers first, because even if the polarity is reversed you should still get something.
Old 01-22-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro-Warrior
First...is there a big difference between "front speakers" and "rear speakers" or are they pretty much interchangeable as far as hook-up is concerned?
Depends on what the speakers are. We would need to know the brand and type to tell you.

Second...We bought new home entertainment furniture and a new HD TV. When setting everything up, we discovered the speaker wire for my center speaker was long enough, but the wires to the right & left ("front speakers"?) were not. My father-in-law brought red & black "automotive wire" which he said is the same thing as speaker wire, however after hooking them up, we get nothing from any speaker but the center speaker (which is using the aforementioned speaker wire). Are they the same type of wires, which means something is wrong with my receiver, or are they different insomuch as to prevent sound travelling through them to the speakers?
For this purpose cable is cable, but I am confused. What are you hooking up? You don't mention a receiver or a dvd player?
Old 01-22-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I currently use automotive power cables for my speaker wire. But it sounds like you've got it hooked up wrong.
Old 01-22-08, 03:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Problem solved! Thanks for all your help, folks!
Old 01-22-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem solved! Thanks for all your help, folks!
I guess he realized that he was using automotive wire made for manual transmission cars which every idiot knows only works with Tube receivers which aren't common anymore.

HDMI+Automatic auto wire = sonic bliss!