Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about my VCR and HD Set Top Box

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-13-08, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my VCR

Website

http://www.usersmanualguide.com/phil...__vcr/vr107_75

Pdf

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/v/v...75_pss_eng.pdf

This is my Set Top Box

http://au.lge.com/products/model/det...lst5100p.jhtml

Looking at those descriptions can i set my VCR up to the STB and record HD successfully? Currently my VCR is connected to the Cable box but im getting rid of cable and i would like to be able to connect the VCR to the STB.
Old 01-13-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh, dude, it's a VCR. No.
Old 01-13-08, 08:31 PM

I was told on a different forum that someone connected his vcr to the stb and it worked so are you sure? I was just curious to know if i needed anything extra for mine? RCA cords etc?

You're saying no so is there anything i can buy other then a vcr to set up to my stb and record?
Old 01-13-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you can see the HD channels on the VCR, I believe you could record them, just not in HD. Before I got my HDTV I could see the HD channels on my SDTV, obviously downconverted to SD, so I don't see why I couldn't have recorded them had I still had a VCR.
Old 01-13-08, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
If you can see the HD channels on the VCR, I believe you could record them, just not in HD. Before I got my HDTV I could see the HD channels on my SDTV, obviously downconverted to SD, so I don't see why I couldn't have recorded them had I still had a VCR.

Not right now because of it being connected to the cable. Was your vcr ever connected to your stb? Because if it was therein lies my answer.
Old 01-13-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At one point I had my VCR connected to my cable box; I believe I had the wall coax going into the cable box, and then out from the cable box into the VCR. It looks like you have a lot of outputs from the cable box, so you may be able to just use RCA cables to connect the cable box into one of the inputs to the VCR. Do you have an HDTV or just standard def?
Old 01-13-08, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
At one point I had my VCR connected to my cable box; I believe I had the wall coax going into the cable box, and then out from the cable box into the VCR. It looks like you have a lot of outputs from the cable box, so you may be able to just use RCA cables to connect the cable box into one of the inputs to the VCR. Do you have an HDTV or just standard def?

EDT.

Last edited by JHBulls; 01-13-08 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 09:42 PM

Longer answer

My TV is an EDT (that Enhanced definiton tv, right? Shows how much i know) but as i said im getting rid of Cable so i suppose however way the vcr is connected to cable connect it the same way to the stb. Possibly..

Last edited by JHBulls; 01-13-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 08:04 PM

The list of features for the STB includes:
"Compatible with Analogue TVs & VCRs"

Your VCR can record the output of the STB, but the result will not be HD (as FinkPish said). I don't know about your TV's capabilities...there may be a benefit (higher quality image) to having your TV connect directly to the STB for OTA viewing. So, consider that when deciding how to connect everything.

An antenna is required for input to the STB.