Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HD Signal Burn-In on Plasma?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had standard DirecTV on my Samsung 50" Plamsa with no problems as far as burn-in or ghost images.
Today I got HD DirecTV and now I've noticed more ghost images. Is this normal? How long do the ghost images take to go away?
I watched the NFL network for about 20 minutes and now I notice the screen has a ghost iamge of "NFL Network" vertically where the sidebars are on the HD channels. Also I've notices the DirecTV menu images are noticable such as where it says the day and day like "Mon 1/7"
Will these eventually disappear? I don't think I was watching it nearly long enough to get permanent burn-in.

On a side note.....do programs on HD channels that are not broadcasted in HD, such as a Seinfeld episode, normally have the sidebars? With HD broadcasted shows air there are no sidebars.
Old 01-07-08, 06:54 PM

The first thing I would check is the settings on the input. Because you're using a different input now, you might have default settings which include higher contrast/brightness.
Old 01-07-08, 07:34 PM

I adjusted the contrast and brightness already. They are both at 50/100.
I am assuming the ghost images aren't permanent since it was only on the screen for such a short time. I've already noticed the "NFL Network" bars dramatically decrease. The direcTV menus are taking a little longer though.
Old 01-07-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you have the brightness on 100? i dont know your specific model but i can not think 100% brightness would ever be good.

go to avsforum.com

click on the flat panel display sub forum, type in your model number and get the proper settings.
Old 01-07-08, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
you have the brightness on 100? i dont know your specific model but i can not think 100% brightness would ever be good.

go to avsforum.com

click on the flat panel display sub forum, type in your model number and get the proper settings.
no, they are both 50 out of 100 (or 50%)
Old 01-07-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And Yes is the answer to your side note. Most HD channels will add side bars to their SD content. Good channels do this with simple black, annoying channels do this with giant logos or their name in the sides.