Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

H.T. awry; HD-DVD vs. Onkyo receiver

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-05-08, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm plugging a Toshiba HDA-30 into a Onkyo 505 receiver with component cable and sending the signal to a Toshiba 27A45 tube TV (I know, I know) also with component cable and the video is all distorted. The best way to describe it is when you had your VCR set on channel 4 and the station was on channel 3. There's an image there but it's snowy and fuzzy and all jacked up. Is there a setting off somewhere I'm missing? Incidentally I'm using a Sony VMC-CV24T component cable for the connection between the DVD player and the receiver. Not the highest quality, but it does have gold connectors on it.
Old 01-05-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you tried to send the video straight to the tv and not through the receiver?

And for the record the only thing that gold does for a connector is not corrode. It has no impact on the quality of the connection or cable
Old 01-05-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts
I'm assuming this is a new hookup so it's not like it was fine before and just starting doing this. I'm also assuming you've checked all your connections to make sure they're seated well.

Other than that, as Brian said, take the receiver out of the path and see if you get the same result.
Old 01-05-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the output settings on the HD-A35? That TV cannot display a progressive picture. My bet is that you're outputting an upsupported (progressive) signal.
Old 01-05-08, 08:36 PM

Thing is, I've output to this tv before with the player and it works fine. No HD obviously but I could still play discs. I think it might be the cable. Plugging this new cable directly in to the back of the tv yields the same results. Comments?
Old 01-05-08, 09:00 PM

Ok. I've just tried it with a different cable and I still get the same craptastic picture. What the hell?!?!?!?! Shoot me.
Old 01-05-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Milt Fargus
I'm plugging a Toshiba HDA-30 into a Onkyo 505 receiver with component cable and sending the signal to a Toshiba 27A45 tube TV (I know, I know) also with component cable and the video is all distorted. The best way to describe it is when you had your VCR set on channel 4 and the station was on channel 3. There's an image there but it's snowy and fuzzy and all jacked up. Is there a setting off somewhere I'm missing? Incidentally I'm using a Sony VMC-CV24T component cable for the connection between the DVD player and the receiver. Not the highest quality, but it does have gold connectors on it.

Double-check your connections. Make sure your component colors are consistent going from the A30 to the Receiver to the TV. Sounds obvious, but I've done this several times. And kicked myself in the arse.
Old 01-05-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow!! Got video of that kick? Twisty!
Old 01-06-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Milt Fargus
Ok. I've just tried it with a different cable and I still get the same craptastic picture. What the hell?!?!?!?! Shoot me.
Then you need to check the settings on the player for output and check the settings on the tv for input, if you have the manuals for both check the wiring diagrams and settings
Old 01-06-08, 07:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
Well now that Blu-ray won, its obvious to me that your HD DVD player and discs are starting to self destruct.
Old 01-06-08, 08:40 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA................[dead silence]

Back to the matter at hand. So, I've plugged the player in with an RCA (bitter salty tears) and it works fine. Both of the cables I use work fine. The problem seems to be localized to the component connection in the dvd player. I can't find any documentation on how to adjust settings between the digital video outputs. Anyone know of or seen anything to that end somewhere?
Old 01-06-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll ask again: Have you checked the output resolution setting for the component connection? You can do this using the RCA connection. Make sure it's set to 480i.

Does it work if you connect the component cables directly to the TV without the receiver in between?
Old 01-07-08, 06:38 AM

I did check my res settings, (I unknowingly reset them to factory defaults) and it does work now. I offer you my most humble thanks Mr. Salty.
Old 01-07-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad your problem is solved!