Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice on FP ceiling mount concerns

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice on FP ceiling mount concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip,
Try the 3". Keep it straight. Be ready for better contrast.
Old 08-24-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing I'm torn about the screen is right now without it the change in AR isn't noticeable due to there being no border. All there is is a wall for the movie to be shown on without a frame so the lack of contrast between the dark black frame and the less than inky blacks of the black bars isn't a distraction.

I bought the blackout cloth intending to build a frame and add the black duvetyne material I have left from my old RPTV to make the border. But after seeing that the cloth and the wall were both about the same shade of white I realized that I would need to paint the cloth to add any difference and I was hoping to avoid that. Then the more I watch it and debated I was just not in a real hurry to do it since I was satisfied with it as it is.

I even went to a local HT shop and took a look at some screens from Stewart and DaLite and became more convinced I didn't need a screen since the contrast, brightness and colors looked the same on their screens as it does on my wall.

The only real complaint I have is that the white walls and drop ceiling really take you out of the whole movie theater experience when they light up from bright scenes that reflect and brighten up the whole room. So I plan on painting the side walls ceiling panels a dark color to offset that negative.

As for my original question that I started this thread with; the PJ and image only really shake when my 6 foot 190 lb son comes bouncing across the floor upstairs. The solution was to rearrange the furniture upstairs so that there is a sofa directly over the PJ so he needs to walk around it.