Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone use Xantech Plasma Proof Dinky Link Kit ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am helping a buddy setup a home theater system. All his equipment will be in a closet that is behind the wall the Plasma will be mounted to. So we need something to control all the components. The Xantech Plasma Proof Dinky Link Kit came recommend but I have never used a remote IR setup so not sure what is really the best and easiest to get up and running. Will need to control the HD cable box, Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver, a new dvd or HD dvd player and a cd player.
http://www.xantech.com/products/ir_p...8095BKITRP.htm

Also, should we also consider an RF kit of some sort instead?

Last edited by pjten101; 12-02-07 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both will work. The part attached to the equipment in the closet (emitters) is wired no matter what, so you can't get away from that even with RF. So basically the only difference is how does it get from the remote past the wall and door into that closet.

Your choices are the Xantech receiver with what sounds like very little wiring in this case; vs an RF module, maybe the common pyramids; or a 3rd method is an RF remote.

I love my Xantech, it is wired between all 3 rooms in my house that have TVs. But it isn't the cheapest method. Quite frankly, once you start with simple IR remote wiring like this, pretty much all the brands are interchangeable if expansion becomes necessary. So choosing something now doesn't really lock you into anything proprietary. Some components will even use these things to control other equipment, cable boxes or audio receivers, for instance.
Old 12-02-07, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info! I guess all that worries me is if the kit will have issues working with any audio/video components. It doesn’t seem so but I wasn’t sure if there are times where the emitters can’t interact with certain models of equipment to get them to perform the requested function from the remote control. Are there any audio/video components that are finicky with such a setup?
Old 12-03-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shouldn't, the emitters are just like emitters in a remote.

But some machines have minor issues. Like Tivos usually have a concave piece of plastic over the IR receiver that something flat can't attach to without some sort of genius engineer in the room. I had to stick the emitters for those on the shelf in front of the machine.

One issue that can come up is power, as in using too many emitters at once. But you only mentioned 4 components, shouldn't be a problem for almost any choice in IR distribution.