Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive mode distorts image

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using my Toshiba HD A3 player on my Westinghouse W33001 LCD TV. Anytime I'm in progressive mode, the image is a little bit stretched either vertically or horizontally, depending on the content.

For instance, when I'm watching Seinfeld DVDs (1.33:1), the black bars on the right and left are too thin, making the image slightly stretched horizontally. With letterboxed 2.35 movies when in progressive mode, the image is stretched vertically a little bit (black bars were too thin). When I'm in interlaced mode, everything looks fine. It's only progressive.

Aside from an explanation of this phenomenon, here is my main question: is this most likely a player problem or a TV problem? The TV has a few other weird little quirks too (as some may have noticed from my multiple threads), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the tv's progressive handling rather than the HD player.

EDIT: Something important I just discovered - With HD DVD discs, I can get rid of the distortion when I switch my TV to "normal" mode. But that's ONLY for HD discs. With standard DVDs (which I keep in "fill all" mode), switching to normal mode puts bars on the right and left.

Last edited by caiman; 11-28-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure your tv is set to standard mode not fill, and your player is set to 16:9.
Old 11-29-07, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Premise
Make sure your tv is set to standard mode not fill, and your player is set to 16:9.
My tv doesn't have a standard mode. It has a "normal mode", but that, as I said, does not put images in their proper ARs (unless they're HD DVDs). And my player is set to 16x9.
Old 11-29-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is your player hooked up? Only component, hdmi, or dvi can pass a progressive picture.
Old 11-29-07, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Premise
How is your player hooked up? Only component, hdmi, or dvi can pass a progressive picture.
Component. Trust me, it's running in progressive mode (480p for SDVDs, 720p for HDDVDs).
Old 11-29-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like you just have a lot of overscan on 480p images.
Old 11-29-07, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caiman
My tv doesn't have a standard mode. It has a "normal mode", but that, as I said, does not put images in their proper ARs (unless they're HD DVDs). And my player is set to 16x9.

You will see a difference also if your WS DVD's are Anamorphic or not. You will see a difference depending on the TV's overscan capabilities.
Old 11-29-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is the TV's resolution? Is it the PC rez of 1366x768 instead of 1280x720? Maybe it's doing something funky.
Old 11-30-07, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
What is the TV's resolution? Is it the PC rez of 1366x768 instead of 1280x720? Maybe it's doing something funky.
1280 x 768

It's actually a 15:9 set, not 16:9. Could this have something to do with it? I've never delt with a 15:9 tv before.

Originally Posted by kaze0
It sounds like you just have a lot of overscan on 480p images.
That sounds right, but why would the amount of overscan be different on progressive mode than it is on interlaced?
Old 11-30-07, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by trubiet
You will see a difference also if your WS DVD's are Anamorphic or not. You will see a difference depending on the TV's overscan capabilities.
I'm making sure to only deal with anamorphic discs, so as to eliminate variables while I'm figuring things out. The changes in the effects of each tv mode have to do with whether I'm watching an HD DVD or a SDVD. It's not an anamorphic/non-anamorphic issue.