Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

50" Plasma tv: Buy online or B&M?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 09:13 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can save $300 buying a 50" plasma from a well known online retailer. But what happens if the set arrives and doesn't work???..lol

Or is it wiser to spend the extra $$$ and buy from a store in person?

thanks
Old 11-24-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

most sites have a shock meter on the side to make sure the box wasnt dropped during shipment. also, most sites give you three days to test it out before you need to call the manufactor with any problems.

i bought my 50" form onecall with ZERO problems
Old 11-24-07, 11:17 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by namrufmot
most sites have a shock meter on the side to make sure the box wasnt dropped during shipment. also, most sites give you three days to test it out before you need to call the manufactor with any problems.

i bought my 50" form onecall with ZERO problems

big thanks!
Old 11-24-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very good question.. i have a couple posts regarding buying a 50" or hanging one and ultimately it all starts with where you buy it.. one thing I noticed about B&M is that some will offer good financing options if that is the route some people want to go in which case, online suffers...

Although, I just checked Onecall and found the Panny for 1400 with free SH and one month same as cash if you wanted...which isnt bad actually. Considering BB has it back up to 2k again which is just stupid I think.

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 11-25-07 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-25-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Costco is another good online store, esp if you have a B&M in your town for potential return/exchange. It's all in the shipping quality.
Old 11-25-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've gone B&M just in case i need to worry about exchanges or issues. The instant gratification of taking it home and unboxing it is fun too
Old 11-25-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True Fumanstan, but when Best Buy has the TV I just bought at 1999 and I bought it for 1500 at Cruthfield plus a free wall mount thats just hard to beat...
Old 11-25-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yea, that Crutchfield deal is an excellent deal. Think we are buying a tv for the living room at Christmas. Tho I might wait for the Super Bowl sales, many a time they are better then the Christmas deals.

I love the Pansonic set, my favorite by far. But I'm afraid it may be physically to big for where we want to put it. So I'm also looking at the 46" LCD's. Yes, I know. I have been pushing the Panasonic's to everyone else. They do have the best picture I have ever seen. But sometimes you do have to look at other factors besides the ultimate picture quality. Like keeping the wife happy!!!
Old 11-25-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For my 61" LED DLP I waited until there was a good deal in the B&M (Best Buy price match to Circuit City price) rather than buying it online. Although I still paid a little more and paid tax, I have the security of a store I bought it from being right here and I am able to pay for it over 18 months with no interest instead of paying it all up front. Also got BB Reward Zone points and bonus points from their holiday online deal. All in all, pretty much a wash. To me that was the way to go.

The regular Best Buy price was a lot more, even with a 12% off coupon. But when CC had it for $300 less, it became worth it. I waited two months for a price like that and I would have waited a lot longer if I had to.

Last edited by movielib; 11-25-07 at 11:46 PM.