Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Portable DVD Player suggestion(s)?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-14-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I find myself in the market for a portable DVD Player. I see they've gotten mighty cheap and there are many brands and models.

I'm looking to get one for my daughter for a long plane ride (11 hours) to try to keep her from going stir crazy. Cheap is my main criterion, but I've learned that going super cheap just means the sucker's going to break in a month, so I'm looking for something fairly solid, but not top of the line. If it has DivX compatibility that would be a great flexibility plus, but not a 'must-have'.

Should I just grab something cheap and disposable, or should I get a brand name?
Old 11-14-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CheapBastid
Hi,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I find myself in the market for a portable DVD Player. I see they've gotten mighty cheap and there are many brands and models.

I'm looking to get one for my daughter for a long plane ride (11 hours) to try to keep her from going stir crazy. Cheap is my main criterion, but I've learned that going super cheap just means the sucker's going to break in a month, so I'm looking for something fairly solid, but not top of the line. If it has DivX compatibility that would be a great flexibility plus, but not a 'must-have'.

Should I just grab something cheap and disposable, or should I get a brand name?
Most players, especially the cheaper ones, only have a battery life around 2.5 hours. From what I understand, some planes have power adapters in their seats, and players usually come with AC and cigarette lighter adapters for that. This site will give you more info on that:
http://www.seatguru.com/articles/in-...ptop_power.php

I bought a Dynex portable DVD player from Best Buy last month, and I like it. It doesn't have DivX, but right now it's on sale for $69. It's 7" and it looks pretty good.
Old 11-15-07, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Philips. Their players handles DiVX/XVid pretty well, so you could store more movies per disk.
I have the 7" model and am very pleased with it.