Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any new 400+ players on the horizon?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to get rid of my DVD shelves and want to store all my DVDs in a 400+DVD player. The Sony HDMI is the only player out there I have seen - problem is the unit is 2 yrs old and there are alot of negatives with it that should be corrected with a new model.

Anyone know if there is a new model out there or another unit that deals with the issues like: better index; go to particular disc, memory function; speed; etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
My recommendation would be to figure out a digital solution. Personally I couldn't fathom having to deal with a 400+ dvd collection in one big changer. As a result, I cannot recommend anything. Heck, I didn't even know they went that high.
Old 09-11-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a changer once and it really sucked. The idea was far better than the reality. Think about a media server, but they are spendy.

So....I don't know what the solution is, but I know a changer isn't it.
Old 09-11-07, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one as well and it's ok. Since I have over 400 DVDs it's a matter of trying to figure out what goes in there more than anything else. I wouldn't recommend it as your only player though. WRT anything new I haven't heard anything.
Old 09-11-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Large changers can really wreak havoc on your media discs. So, unless you know for sure your particular model treats the discs with humanity, I would look for a backup solution of your movies on a media server, like kvrdave mentioned.

I really envy homeowners who have a basement because I'd be making a media server and putting one down there in a minute. Or two.
Old 09-11-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why does a basement change the picture?

One thing you can do is put movies-only on the server. If you feel an urge for a documentary or something, pull out the DVD. With only the movie, you can fit most into 4GB without added compression. (or less if you don't mind damaging the quality) Just multiply that out for the number of movies to see how much storage you'd need.

Or there's always disc wallets. That's how I store my CDs, now. And software. And burned discs. 200 discs in the space of about a dozen DVD cases.
Old 09-12-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, because a basement has a naturally cool temperature level, is also a stable temperature, year round.
Old 09-12-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have 7 changers of various models and ages (they are all sony changers though). some hold 301 discs most hold 400. i love them. they have not damaged my discs (a common misconception) and my discs are in nicer condition than those that are handled more often by taking them in and out of their cases. the newest sony dvp-cx-995v is really sweet. they are the hdmi upconverting players (i have 2 of them and they are the best ones i have encountered out of the dvp-cx-875p, dvp-cx-995v and dvp-cx-995v). to me they are worth their weight in gold. avoid the dvp-cx-875p though it seems to take a longer time to find the correct disc (of course it is the oldest model that i have). since the dvp-cx-995v has been out for several years now i would imagine that the next incarnation will be even better and more user friendly.
Old 09-12-07, 08:18 PM

thanks for the input - can someone explain the server or digital idea and provide a link - thanks!
Old 09-12-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I use a Mac Mini. It runs both OSX and XP so I can choose whatever player software I want. (it runs linux too, but I don't go that route) Simply add hard drives via Firewire to whatever computer you use to add space. It does have to have a fairly decent video card and audio. And if you want to get into storing HD material, a recent CPU.

I haven't used mine much for DVD playback because I absolutely love my Denon player, but the Mac works great for this purpose. OSX has Front Row, which acts as a nice menu system to hide the standard computer interface and give easy access to music, video and pics you have stored. There are comparable software programs for XP, too. There's a whole series of forums about this at AVS.

Now, putting DVDs on a server breaks the DMCA so we don't discuss that here. I would never ever ever break the DMCA with [Removed comments that would get this thread closed and this is a warning. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=401647 -X]