Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Optoma HD70 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optoma HD70 HELP

i am planning to get an optoma hd70 or sony vpl aw15 projector, but i need other peoples opinions and reviews about these projectors before i purchase anything. HELP MY THEATER ROOM!

also, i was wondering if any screen ill get will affect anything? because i saw this 100" motorized screen on ebay for $200...but i need any feedback and knowledge about projectors and screen before any purchase. any help will help. thanks
Old 08-28-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDLOUSER
i am planning to get an optoma hd70 or sony vpl aw15 projector, but i need other peoples opinions and reviews about these projectors before i purchase anything. HELP MY THEATER ROOM!

also, i was wondering if any screen ill get will affect anything? because i saw this 100" motorized screen on ebay for $200...but i need any feedback and knowledge about projectors and screen before any purchase. any help will help. thanks
Have you seen either one of these projectors in action? Why do you want a motorized screen?

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 08-29-07 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-29-07, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Have you seen either oen of these projectors in action? Why do you want a motorized screen?
i havent seen any of these in action but i read about them on projectorreviews.com but i rather other people reviews that owns them or seen them in action. i just want a motorized screen just to hide it when its not in use from the children damaging anything.
Old 08-29-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
IMHO this is the best review of the PJ I have read.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd70/index.php

Right after this review come out, I went and got one. I love mine. I would have likely gone with the Mitsubishi but I didn't think the added offset would work in my set up. Or at least I didn't want the added headach of trying to make it work.

I love mine. I went from an X1 to this. It is very quite in low lamp mode and still fairly quite in high. It is not a light canon, but I can watch Sunday day football games without closing all the drapes. I felt like mine needed a break in period and also some calibration (see the review for ideas on where to start).

I highly recommend the projector. Is it perfect? Of course not. Not at that price range. I wish it had a bit better blacks. But overall I'm very pleased and already over over 1400 hours on it as we watch everything on it!!!

I built my own 94" fixed screen. I'm pleased with it. Tho still thinking of building another one, just haven't had the time.
Old 08-29-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A $200 motorized screen on Ebay sounds like crap or scam to me. Caveat emptor.
Old 08-30-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh...I didn't even see that it was a motorized screen. Yea....I wouldn't touch that for $200.

But to answer your question, yes a screen can have a dramatic effect. It color (typically white, grey or silver) and texture (typically flat or beaded) can have a significant impact. Most feel you should match the screen to the pj and your room. Tho not an exact science and you should go with what your personal preferences are. For example, if you read the review I linked, it mentions the HD70 would likely work well with a grey screen in part to help with black levels. But I personally don't like the look of grey, so right now I have white.
Old 08-30-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh...I didn't even see that it was a motorized screen. Yea....I wouldn't touch that for $200.

But to answer your question, yes a screen can have a dramatic effect. It color (typically white, grey or silver) and texture (typically flat or beaded) can have a significant impact. Most feel you should match the screen to the pj and your room. Tho not an exact science and you should go with what your personal preferences are. For example, if you read the review I linked, it mentions the HD70 would likely work well with a grey screen in part to help with black levels. But I personally don't like the look of grey, so right now I have white.
thanks
Old 08-30-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
But I personally don't like the look of grey, so right now I have white.
Hmm....if you turn on the PJ, the greyness won't bother you as much. Plus, you can watch TV!
Old 08-31-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
A $200 motorized screen on Ebay sounds like crap or scam to me. Caveat emptor.
To be fair, that's MORE than what Monoprice sells them for, and we can all agree they have a pretty good reputation.
Old 08-31-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Hmm....if you turn on the PJ, the greyness won't bother you as much. Plus, you can watch TV!
Well I have looked at some comparison screen shots (which I agree only tell part of the story). While I like what it did with blacks, I did not like what it did with whites. But I am still considering one. Heck they are so cheap to build a decent quality one, if I don't like it, I can always start over.