Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Daughters out /Home Theater is Moving In. Suggestions needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
So my 20 year old moved out last week. Were really going to miss her but I am stoked about converting her 15' x 13' room into our new home theatre.
I need help though from what color to paint the walls,carpet color,What HDTV (I'm pretty sure I'm convinced I want a Sony 52" LCD) where can I get inexpensive theatre chairs etc.black out curtains,etc So who wants to help me design this baby? I allready have the audio end covered so I just need help on the rest. Budget is about $6000 or less. Your help is appreciated.
Old 08-02-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
$6000? Are you doing most of the work yourself? That is a lot for such a small display IMHO.
Old 08-02-07, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
$6000? Are you doing most of the work yourself? That is a lot for such a small display IMHO.

Yep! Me and my wife are going to be doing it all. It should come in alot less.
Old 08-02-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many rows of seating?
Old 08-03-07, 06:16 AM

How many rows of seating?
One row 3 or 4 seats
Old 08-03-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blaineo
Hi Guys
So my 20 year old moved out last week. Were really going to miss her but I am stoked about converting her 15' x 13' room into our new home theatre.
I need help though from what color to paint the walls,carpet color,What HDTV (I'm pretty sure I'm convinced I want a Sony 52" LCD) where can I get inexpensive theatre chairs etc.black out curtains,etc So who wants to help me design this baby? I allready have the audio end covered so I just need help on the rest. Budget is about $6000 or less. Your help is appreciated.
When designing a theater, think about the movie theaters you have been in. They are all light controlled, painted and decorated with dark colors. Beyond that it is very much a personal choice.

I would start by sketching out a plan of where EVERYTHING is going to go. Make note of how/where to run cables for the audio and the video. Do you have enough electrical outlets? Do you have proper lighting control? You can check my sig for a link to pictures of my theater and many others.

Come back with more questions, we will be glad to help and good luck!

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 08-03-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-03-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I recommend a dark blue for the paint. In controlled lighting, it will look black, but at the same time, make the room as usable living space when not being used as a theater.
Old 08-03-07, 08:30 AM

No one asked the most important question!!!

Is she hot?

I kid, I kid
Old 08-03-07, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I recommend a dark blue for the paint. In controlled lighting, it will look black, but at the same time, make the room as usable living space when not being used as a theater.
Good point Josh. I was thinking the same thing about the paint since I will be using it as a Home Theatre/ Office as well. All of the walls and ceiling are currently white. What is your and the rest of my fellow DVD Talk members opinion about putting drapes up on the walls as opposed to painting. Will it help the sound as well?
Old 08-03-07, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Good point Josh. I was thinking the same thing about the paint since I will be using it as a Home Theatre/ Office as well. All of the walls and ceiling are currently white. What is your and the rest of my fellow DVD Talk members opinion about putting drapes up on the walls as opposed to painting. Will it help the sound as well?
Old 08-03-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My concern would be that it would deaden the sound too much. Part of a surround system's effect is the echo or bounce from walls.
Old 08-03-07, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
My concern would be that it would deaden the sound too much. Part of a surround system's effect is the echo or bounce from walls.
Good Point.
Old 08-03-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes! I wish I had $6,000 to work on my HT room. I only have a budget of $1,500, of course I already have a TV & Surround Sound System so?
Anyways, blaineo is it possible to get a picture of the room so maybe I could give you an idea or two that you might think is neat.
Old 08-03-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't think you'd want an echo. If you had two front speakers and then wanted to get a surround sound by bouncing the sound off the back and side walls, then I guess. I'd get wall treatment panels. The sounds should be from the speaker to your ears. A pretty decent 5.1 setup should be good . No HTIB. Maybe SVS or av123 for a speaker package that would be killer.
Old 08-03-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I wouldn't think you'd want an echo. If you had two front speakers and then wanted to get a surround sound by bouncing the sound off the back and side walls, then I guess. I'd get wall treatment panels. The sounds should be from the speaker to your ears. A pretty decent 5.1 setup should be good . No HTIB. Maybe SVS or av123 for a speaker package that would be killer.
Perhaps I explained that poorly.

All sound is reflected somehow. If there is too much echo then yes that is bad. So would no echo, ie., in an anechoic chamber.

My only point was that to cover all the walls with drapes might cause problems. Certainly not hearing how the room sounds first, without any sound control measures would also be a mistake.
Old 08-03-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps I explained that poorly.

All sound is reflected somehow. If there is too much echo then yes that is bad. So would no echo, ie., in an anechoic chamber.

My only point was that to cover all the walls with drapes might cause problems. Certainly not hearing how the room sounds first, without any sound control measures would also be a mistake.

gotcha. Yeah, I wouldn't drape the whole room like I would if I were trying to sound-proof it (like I did years ago for my drum set room). Some sound dampening would be good, though, yes? Like those diffusing panels or something. I don't know much about home theater design, so keep that in mind .
Old 08-03-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some sound dampening would be good, though, yes?
Perhaps.

This can be achieved through carpeting and furnishings.

In my case when I did my theater, I waited until I had carpet, chairs and a couch in the room to really sit down and judge the sound of the room. Only then, with an SPL meter too, was I able to determine any small changes that needed to be made.

One thing to bear in mind with home theater design is that it is radically different than just setting up a HTIB in a family room. I spent a year planning my theater. Given the opportunity to setup a room for this, it is always wise to go slowly, do research and ask questions!
Old 08-03-07, 09:53 AM

For sound I will be using the following
Receiver: Yamaha Rx-V2090 (Old receiver kicks butt,may upgrade it later for optical ins since this one has none)
Front Sp:Paradigm Satalites on floor stands
Center: Mirage
Rear: Boston Acoustics- Bi Directionals- Hung on wall
Sub-Paradigm PDR

TV Im looking at: Sony 52" LCD

Chairs: I Need a good inexpensive source to buy comfy leather theatre chairs or theatre sofa (Remember rooms only 15' x 13') TV and chairs will be on the 15' side

Lighting: Pixelrange Micro W LED fixtures ( I work for them so they are free. Great stuff by the way. Check it out www.pixelrange.com)
Old 08-03-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, you can't go wrong with Paradigm, from what I've heard (literally). Why are you so sold on a Sony LCD? I have a Panasonic plasma and the picture is perfect. Most people on avsforum prefer Panny or Pioneer for plasmas. Better blacks (although LCD is coming along). I would consider a plasma, since it's a pretty sizable investment. You can also get a professional model which has no speakers or stand (and is cheaper that way too).

here's one I'd consider (1080p, by the way)

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Pla...ber=TH-50PF9UK
Old 08-03-07, 10:07 AM

Perhaps.

This can be achieved through carpeting and furnishings.

In my case when I did my theater, I waited until I had carpet, chairs and a couch in the room to really sit down and judge the sound of the room. Only then, with an SPL meter too, was I able to determine any small changes that needed to be made.

One thing to bear in mind with home theater design is that it is radically different than just setting up a HTIB in a family room. I spent a year planning my theater. Given the opportunity to setup a room for this, it is always wise to go slowly, do research and ask questions!

Im on the same page wih you Brian. I plan on buying my furnishings and then setting up my sound system to see what it sounds like first. I am just starting this project so the room is empty now. I am in no hurry because I want to do it right the first time. Hence this is why I am on this forum asking questions. And everyone is being very helpful.
Old 08-03-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, you can't go wrong with Paradigm, from what I've heard (literally). Why are you so sold on a Sony LCD? I have a Panasonic plasma and the picture is perfect. Most people on avsforum prefer Panny or Pioneer for plasmas. Better blacks (although LCD is coming along). I would consider a plasma, since it's a pretty sizable investment. You can also get a professional model which has no speakers or stand (and is cheaper that way too).

Oh by the time we are all done with the OP we should have him convinced to go with a projector and 100" odd screen. We just need to bring him along gently.
Old 08-03-07, 10:26 AM

Oh by the time we are all done with the OP we should have him convinced to go with a projector and 100" odd screen. We just need to bring him along gently.
You know funny you should mention that. I was considering a projector but I was concerned with the throw distance being only about 11'-12' and what size image I would get. Not to mention the costs of the projector and labor to install something on the ceiling.
Old 08-03-07, 10:31 AM

Two reasons for going with Sony
1. The picture looks great (At least to my eyes)
2. I have a friend who is a rep for Sony so I can get a 25% to 30% discount off of retail.
Old 08-03-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Im on the same page wih you Brian. I plan on buying my furnishings and then setting up my sound system to see what it sounds like first. I am just starting this project so the room is empty now. I am in no hurry because I want to do it right the first time. Hence this is why I am on this forum asking questions. And everyone is being very helpful.

Good for you

The audio looks good. When I tell people to take their time, some think I am being overly cautious. Even though I spent a year planning, I still found things I should have done after finishing.
Old 08-03-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know funny you should mention that. I was considering a projector but I was concerned with the throw distance being only about 11'-12' and what size image I would get. Not to mention the costs of the projector and labor to install something on the ceiling.
I have a Panny AE-900U and my throw distance is barely more than 12' and I have a fantastic 125.5" 16x9 screen. According to every online "calculator", that's too big, but I love it and so does everyone else. Not a single person has said, "That's too big". Usually it's, "Wow! This is amazing!"

As to the cost and labor, my projector was

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.