Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sound echo when using speaker system...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 10:22 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I just recently got myself a brand new HDTV (Samsung, 50", 720p). I'm very happy with the TV, and after hooking up my (also new) PS3 as a Blu-ray player, I was ecstatic over the picture quality!

But what is a picture without the sound? That's where my trouble comes in. Right now, I'm using a fairly old Bose speaker system that has 'simulated surround sound,' so there are just two speakers placed far apart in the room and a subwoofer in the middle. It's nothing spectacular, but for my purposes, it's always been great for movies.

Until now, where I've gotten this sound echo. The echo occurs when both the TV speakers and the Bose system are active at the same time. My best estimation of the problem is that there is a delay of a fraction of a second when going to the system, because when either the speakers or the TV are muted, there is no echo. The obvious solution is to mute one and leave it like that, except that when played in unison, I manage to hear much more of what's going on, because the TV has a great speaker system for itself.

With me so far? I'm sorry, I'm not the most techie guy in the world, but I'm trying to explain it the best I can.

Now for the way it's hooked up. The PS3 is hooked to my TV via HDMI. Then, my speaker system is hooked to the TV via red and white composite cables. I'm guessing it's this extra step for the audio to travel that's causing the problem? How might I remove a step? Here is my possible solution:

I've never actually heard of 'optical audio cables' before, but apparently it's the top quality in audio? If nothing else, it's certainly above my composite cables, right? So, if I buy an optical cable, then run it directly from the PS3's optical-out to the speakers Optical-in, then it eliminates the trip from the TV to the speakers and synchs up perfectly...maybe? Also, just for reference, even if I finally opt to just mute the TV while I watch, the optical cable will at least offer me the highest quality sound the player can support, right?

One final thing, I know that I'm not just going crazy from hearing the same sounds from two things at the same time, because sometimes I start them both up and for a little while there is no echo, if I switch a channel or something, there it is.

I know this was very long, and perhaps confusing, and I apologize for that, it's just that this is really irking me and I'm dying to find a solution. Thanks for any help you can give me!

PS: The echo is really only distinguishable when people are speaking. That might be irrelevant, but I never really noticed it with explosions/music/sound effects.

Thanks again for anything you can tell me.
Old 08-01-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh God.

I got as far as the "I am using a Bose..."

I dont need to read the rest.....

Get a new sound system and DONT get a Bose.

EDIT:
While I stand by my above recommendation, I realize I am trained to react that way in every single Bose discussion ever.

You can try the optical cable and see if that works. Make sure to turn it on in the PS3 settings.

Last edited by SoSpacey; 08-01-07 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-01-07, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

That bad, huh? What's the problem with them? I'm not really in the market to replace that right now considering how much I just spent on the TV+PS3. It's feasible, but not for couple paychecks from now.
Old 08-01-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Until now, where I've gotten this sound echo. The echo occurs when both the TV speakers and the Bose system are active at the same time.
Why would you do this?

I will agree with SoSpacey regarding Bose but frankly you would not want to run audio speakers and tv speakers at the same time, no matter what the brand.
Old 08-01-07, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by codenamexen
That bad, huh? What's the problem with them? I'm not really in the market to replace that right now considering how much I just spent on the TV+PS3. It's feasible, but not for couple paychecks from now.
I wouldnt know where to begin.

Friends dont let friends buy Bose

Bose - Better sound through marketing

No highs,
No Lows
Must be Bose

Basically Bose is overpriced underpowered crap. They spend so much money on marketing their products, they need to make up for it somewher, right? Guess where they make it up?

Bose doesnt give their products to independant testing labs. That should tell you all you need to know about Bose.

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Why would you do this?

I will agree with SoSpacey regarding Bose but frankly you would not want to run audio speakers and tv speakers at the same time, no matter what the brand.

But they are Bose Brian! You have to run your TV speakers to be able to hear them!

OP - Dont take it personally. Many people have fallen for the Bose trap.
Old 08-01-07, 10:15 PM
Cool New Member

Hello again,

I appreciate the honesty, I made that purchase about 5 years ago at the pressure of a Best Buy salesmen, long before I knew any better. At least now I try to research what to buy before blindly taking suggestions.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just order the optical cable and listen using only my *cough* Bose system, and then look into something better in the future.

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-07, 10:26 PM

Just turn down your TV speakers(all the way) and allow the signal to come through your surrounds and you'll eliminate the echo.