Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDMI flickering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDMI flickering?

I have had a samsung 32 inch LCD HDTV for 3 weeks now. The set is great after fooling around with it for a few days, I fixed any upfront issues I had.
I purchased an upscaling dvd player with HDMI conection.

Up until today, almost three weeks, the set looked great!

So far this doesn't happen with over the air HD broadcasts, So I'm guessing it's an HDMI port issue.

Basicly what happens is a white flash will happen while watching a dvd, Sometimes it's the whole screen, sometimes it's half, sometimes it's alittle section near the bottom.

It really was bad eariler....

Is this a tv issue or Should i take back the dvd player?
Old 07-24-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I seem to remember issues with certain early HDMI players having flashing problems like this. But it was never one I had, so I didn't pay much attention. Maybe you should do a search on your player, see if other users have had comments.
Old 07-24-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In looking at upconverting DVD players available at Sam's, I was searching their models at AVS Forum. It appeared that some have that problem, so I would say it's more likely an issue w/ the player.

IIRC, the Philips for $60 that Sam's Club has got pretty good remarks over there, if you're a member. I'll probably be heading there this weekend to pick one up.
Old 07-24-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I seem to remember issues with certain early HDMI players having flashing problems like this. But it was never one I had, so I didn't pay much attention. Maybe you should do a search on your player, see if other users have had comments.
Spiky is usually right and again is spot on with his advice. You may also be correct in that its a port / connection / HDCP issue since this issue doesn't occur over HD broadcasts. Best thing you can do is attempt to troubleshoot in the normal manner.

1) Make sure connection between devices is solid. If yes, still problem;
2) Attach dvd player and cable to another HDMI capable display, if still problem;
3) Replace cable. If still problem;
4) Replace dvd player. If still problem;
5) Contact Samsung for service / replacement.

Do this all soon, as it looks like your return window is rapidly closing.
Old 07-24-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Also make sure the player is set to the resolution of the tv. My tv is 720 and I had a player set to 1080. There was a faint white bar that strobed across the screen from right to left. I set the player to 720 and it went away.
Old 07-24-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My player is the Phillips that is at Costco/Sams.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-24-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
My player is the Phillips that is at Costco/Sams.

Thanks for the help guys.
dag, I was all excited about going to get that one, too! Thanks for letting me know so I can check out other options. I've got a set of coupons Circuit City sent me through USPS change of address letters that I want to use, and I've already bought a HDTV, so I can't use their TV coupon, one is good for speakers/receivers/dvd recorders, none of which I need, and the other is $40 off of $200, but I can purchase stuff I need at places much cheaper.

You're talking about the DVP5982 model?
Old 07-24-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plugged in the dvd player to a 2nd HDMI port in the back ( I was using the side port ).

I have watched 2 movies tonight, roughly 4 hours of tv, No flickering.

I'm wondering if I should bother taking the tv back? A tv that is 3 weeks old shouldn't have this problem. Definantly not something that cost 800 bucks!
So now I must decided before monday if principle is worth the hassle.

Then again, the HDMI port that went bad lasted 3 week without problems, maybe my others will too intime.
Old 07-24-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, take it back for an exchange. Lemons should be discarded, not tolerated. I'd double check the side port, just for kicks. But if it still flashes, that isn't a principle issue, it is broken.
Old 07-24-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I double checked it, It started flashing withen a few mins.

I'd rather deal with one day of hassle to return to Circut City than weeks dealing with samsung.