Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Connection problem with Oppo player and Onkyo receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few weeks ago, I had my Oppo DVD player hooked up straight to the TV with component outputs. One of the easiest ways to tell with my TV if the signal being received is 1080i is to attempt to adjust the aspect ratio, it always states "Not Available". When playing a DVD with the Oppo, the TV would always display that.

I recently bought an Onkyo 604 receiver and hooked up the Oppo through it (I only have two component and one DVI for inputs on my TV, all three are in use right now). When the Oppo start-up screen first comes on, the TV will show "Not Available" if you try to adjust the ratio (meaning 1080i is being received), but when the movie actually starts it does not (I can adjust the ratio however I want to). The display on the Oppo still states the output of the player is at 1080i, even though the TV isn't receiving it that way.

Why would the start-up screen be 1080i, but the movie isn't? I could understand if both were not due to being run through the Onkyo, even though I thought component inputs were up-converted through the 604?
Old 07-09-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
A few weeks ago, I had my Oppo DVD player hooked up straight to the TV with component outputs. One of the easiest ways to tell with my TV if the signal being received is 1080i is to attempt to adjust the aspect ratio, it always states "Not Available". When playing a DVD with the Oppo, the TV would always display that.

I recently bought an Onkyo 604 receiver and hooked up the Oppo through it (I only have two component and one DVI for inputs on my TV, all three are in use right now). When the Oppo start-up screen first comes on, the TV will show "Not Available" if you try to adjust the ratio (meaning 1080i is being received), but when the movie actually starts it does not (I can adjust the ratio however I want to). The display on the Oppo still states the output of the player is at 1080i, even though the TV isn't receiving it that way.

Why would the start-up screen be 1080i, but the movie isn't? I could understand if both were not due to being run through the Onkyo, even though I thought component inputs were up-converted through the 604?
Simply put, the Oppo will not display protected content at 1080i over component without a hack. The splash screen is not protected content.
Old 07-09-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks and I understand your point. I guess what I don't understand is why it only started distinguishing between "protected and unprotected content" when the Onkyo receiver was introduced into the mix? I've had this player since it was introduced and never had this issue before, it's always been component hook-ups and it has always upconverted (without being hacked).

I have a HDA2, a Series 3 TiVo and this Oppo with only 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver (and the digital input on the TV comes from the receiver). Maybe going HDMI on the HDA2 and the Oppo with component on the TiVo might be the best route all around?
Old 07-09-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a HDA2, a Series 3 TiVo and this Oppo with only 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver (and the digital input on the TV comes from the receiver). Maybe going HDMI on the HDA2 and the Oppo with component on the TiVo might be the best route all around?
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read your first paragraph. You saved me the trouble of having to type it up!
Old 07-09-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks and I understand your point. I guess what I don't understand is why it only started distinguishing between "protected and unprotected content" when the Onkyo receiver was introduced into the mix? I've had this player since it was introduced and never had this issue before, it's always been component hook-ups and it has always upconverted (without being hacked).
If you haven't hacked the Oppo, it simply wasn't upconverting over component, unless you were playing non-copy protected discs (DVD-Rs of some sort, or a few rare non-copy protected DVDs).
Old 07-09-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I've only had to adjust the TV aspect ratio (going from 4:3 shows to 16:9) on my movies since I started using the Onkyo receiver, the Oppo always handled them correctly beforehand. The exact same discs that displayed properly before (meaning they're upconverted) do not do so now.

Regardless, switching to HDMI will solve the problem.
Old 07-09-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or hack your Oppo. It's simple to do.
Old 07-10-07, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Or hack your Oppo. It's simple to do.
I also have the oppon and wondering how you can hack it.
Old 07-10-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Check this page for the hack

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dv...r=oppo&hits=50
Old 07-10-07, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The new connections I described above worked just fine.

I'm always leary of hacked firmware updates no matter how easy they sound. With the kind of luck I have, I know I'll end up with a brick.
Old 07-10-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The new connections I described above worked just fine.

I'm always leary of hacked firmware updates no matter how easy they sound. With the kind of luck I have, I know I'll end up with a brick.
In this case however, Oppo supports the hack themselves, and it will not void your warranty. Read their support page.