Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My Optical Block Engine needs replaced on Sony Wega HDTV. Sony covering it...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

If you had your's replaced, read on, looks like Sony is paying for past/future repairs on this problem. If you have an extended warranty, then you're covered anyway.

I've been having this problem for a few months, and finally got around to calling Circuit City for my extended warranty in-home repair on 6/12.

The first repair shop they set me up with never called to set an appt after a week. (6/19) I called the shop, and they said they don't handle out of state repairs. Back to Circuit City, they blame the shop, saying they should have called me and said they denied it, and they also need to update their profile with CC.
They send it to a local shop. They call and set up an appointment for another week later.
(6/26) Guy comes out, looks at it for 5 seconds, says I know exactly what it is. He starts to leave, and says they have to order a part. (7/2) Call the shop to check the status of the part. Guy is kind of puzzled, 'hmm, says it's back ordered until 8/8...let me make some calls and I'll let you know.' He also tells me it's the Optical Engine Block. I do some searching while waiting for him to call me. And I find this on Sony's site, it was posted 3 days before the guy came out to diagnose it.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...55&news_id=206
Says they are aware of it, and will pay for any past repairs for it, and any future repairs up to a certain date (December 31, 2008) if you don't have an extended warranty.

Anyway, back to my story. Shop calls me back, says it is back ordered at the factory, there is no ETA. I advise him of the bulletin. He suggests I call CC, they can do a global search for the part. I call CC back, they send me to Consumer Relations. Rose, who has smoked a few packs of cigarettes in her life, helps me. She gets the part number from the shop, finds one and is going to have it shipped via ground to the shop. The shop will call when it arrives and schedule an appointment.

Do you think they have upgraded this part, or is it going to fail again in about 2.5 years?