Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Optoma HD70 vs. the Infocus 4805?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an Infocus 4805 before, and really enjoyed it. I've recently decided I may get another projector. I've thought about getting another 4805, but they seem to be going out of production. What does everyone think of the Optoma HD70 Home Theater Projector? I could get a 4805 for about 600 or so, but is the Optoma worth the extra $300(ish)?
Old 06-25-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't think there is any contest really. The HD70 is an excellent entry level 720p projector.
Old 06-25-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I had a X1 and upgraded to a HD70 and love it. It takes some tweaking (which I'm still working on) but it throws a very nice image at a great price.

I would also look at the Mit HD1000u I think it is. Roughly the same price (give or take), but many prefer it. I would have probably gone with the Mit, but I was afraid the added lens offset would not have worked in my set up.

Here is one of the best overall reviews of the pj. Meaning it tells the good with the bad (at this price range there is no perfect unit). Also has some screen and settings recommendations.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/HD70/index.php

I had purchased the HD70 with the hopes it would get me thru till the 1080p models were in my price range. However, the HD70 is a very good unit and I would consider it more then a "stepping stone" pj. Friends and family immediately noticed the difference when I upgraded. The improvement I find the most impressive is the depth (almost a 3-D look on some DVD's, HD) and the much better detail in dark scenes or movies.

Keep in mind that this pj regularly runs less then $900, you can build a nice screen for around a $100, and get all the cables you need from monoprice for about $70 (assuming you want to run both component and HDMI), build a ceiling mount for about $20 and for right around a grand you have a very nice 100" 16:9 image. IMHO the absolute best value in displays.
Old 06-25-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you very much for the link, information, and detailed description of why you like it. I always like hearing someone's firsthand experience of a product, especially one that is such an investment.
Old 06-27-07, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4805 is better in several ways. The HD70's only advantage is resolution. So, for HD it will provide a more detailed picture, but for DVDs the 4805 will win unless you're sitting too close. The 4805 leads in virtually every other category after calibration though.

I'd recommend the Mitsubishi HD1000U. It's $899 at Projector People. Most find it to be a bit better thant he HD70.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 06-27-07 at 04:04 PM.