Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

home theatre expert help needed?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone had experience in setting up a home theatre system for a condo living room, I am talking something like a 17 by 10 room, what did you use, my budget is somewhere around $1500.
Old 06-13-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
I was wondering if anyone had experience in setting up a home theatre system for a condo living room, I am talking something like a 17 by 10 room, what did you use, my budget is somewhere around $1500.
Experts such as us need more info

What do you need to buy, audio, video? Do you have pieces you are reusing? Have you thought about rear speaker placement and speaker cables?

Tell us more and we will be glad to help.
Old 06-13-07, 07:14 AM

yes I do apologize for the lack of info, strictly audio here, I have a very good tv I am happy with it only uses 720p/1080i but thats good enough for me, and using the PS3 as a dvd/Blu Ray player and now it up converts is just beautiful even on SDVD's

I have heard good things about Onkyo recievers, I want to use the HDMI connections on my tv, now the speakers are the problem, having such a small space to use, and not really wanting a whole wack of wiring. I have read good things about Polk speakers, they also make the Surroundbar, anyone have any experience with that?

Last edited by educator_bhoy; 06-13-07 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Well I always recommend listening to speakers first and buying a receiver second.

My concern is the placement of the rear speakers and possibly a sub. You will need to think about wall placement or stands and how you will get the wiring to them.

Onkyo receivers are nice as are Polk speakers.

I recommend you visit some stores after reviewing your room layout and begin to listen to some speakers with material you are familiar with.
Old 06-13-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

look at the Receiver thread for recommendations on those. Onkyo release a receiver with HDMI 1.3 (although I am not supporting 1.3 or in any way inferring you should lean towards 1.3). I believe the model is the 605 and can be had for $399 from J&R if you CALL to order.

Since you have a PS3, I would definately get that receiver with your budget. I wont explain why as to not confuse you.

Polk speakers are good for your price range although there are other speaker companies out there that will also make some good speakers.

Paradigm makes a couple of lines that would run you about $500. Check out their cinema series and make sure you buy yourself a sub.

A home theater without a sub is like kissing a second cousin...seemed like a good idea at the time but you will regret it.
Old 06-13-07, 03:49 PM

thanks for the Paradigm suggestion, their Cinema line is so extensive so confusing for us newcomers heheheh, and where do you guys buy your electronics, I know better than to buy stuff from a big box store, I did manage to buy my PS3 off of Ebay used and just loving it.
Old 06-13-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
This is a nice combo set. I have the Celestion speakers that are sort of kissing cousins to these KEF.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFONKPACK

Now, the only problem I see is that I don't believe this Onkyo will process the new audio formats over HDMI. And since the PS3 does not have analog outs, you are out of luck on the new audio formats. However, on a system in these price range, not sure the new audio formats are going to make that much of a difference. Plus you can always upgrade the receiver at a later date.

Or you can put together another package on your own.

How about the new h/k that will process the new audio formats over HDMI at about $450

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...1784601&sr=8-1

And the upgraded KEF's

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFKHT5005

But I also like the Paradigms, Boston, maybe NHT
Old 06-15-07, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
This is a nice combo set. I have the Celestion speakers that are sort of kissing cousins to these KEF.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFONKPACK

Now, the only problem I see is that I don't believe this Onkyo will process the new audio formats over HDMI. And since the PS3 does not have analog outs, you are out of luck on the new audio formats. However, on a system in these price range, not sure the new audio formats are going to make that much of a difference. Plus you can always upgrade the receiver at a later date.

Or you can put together another package on your own.

How about the new h/k that will process the new audio formats over HDMI at about $450

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...1784601&sr=8-1

And the upgraded KEF's

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFKHT5005

But I also like the Paradigms, Boston, maybe NHT
It's really nothing to do w/the Onkyo but w/the PS3 itself. It can internally decode a TrueHD soundtrack and send it PCM over the HDMI connection but it only contains a Si9133 chipset so it won't pass TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreams over HDMI.
Old 06-15-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by dkny75
It's really nothing to do w/the Onkyo but w/the PS3 itself. It can internally decode a TrueHD soundtrack and send it PCM over the HDMI connection but it only contains a Si9133 chipset so it won't pass TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreams over HDMI.
Really? I thought the PS3 passed many of the new audio formats over HDMI. But of course your receiver has to be able to process audio over HDMI and many of them do not.