Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Want to upgrade to a 7.1 set-up

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 5.1 set-up that I'm looking to upgrade to 7.1. Part of the problem is space, as I don't have much room to place anything, plus one side of the home theater square is open (and I don't want a speaker sitting in the middle of the room). I guess the best idea is to hang speakers or such, but we'll see. Can anyone recommend some decent speakers that aren't too large to upgrade to a 7.1 set-up?
Old 05-29-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm just curious why you'd want a 7.1 setup, since there are zero movies that are encoded in 7.1. I really don't consider matrixing rear channels an "upgrade".
Old 05-29-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
There are a couple 7.1 discs out there, the import Blu-ray disc of GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE (which is supposed to sound amazing) and I think the BD of that Avengers cartoon is also 7.1. There probably will be more in the future, so maybe he just wants to get ready.
Old 05-29-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Its really 6.1 but 7th is a bonus if you need it for a big room.
Old 05-29-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm just curious why you'd want a 7.1 setup, since there are zero movies that are encoded in 7.1. I really don't consider matrixing rear channels an "upgrade".
basically just looking to upgrade for the future. I'm upgrading a few things in the home theater, so I think it would be easier to get everything done at about the same time, set-up wise.
Old 05-30-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have a 5.1 set-up that I'm looking to upgrade to 7.1. Part of the problem is space, as I don't have much room to place anything, plus one side of the home theater square is open (and I don't want a speaker sitting in the middle of the room). I guess the best idea is to hang speakers or such, but we'll see. Can anyone recommend some decent speakers that aren't too large to upgrade to a 7.1 set-up?
Well recommending speakers is not the issue.

As seen in this diagram on Dolby's website, if you cannot place the speakers on the side then it may not be possible to do a 7.1 setup in that room

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic_IIx.html
Old 05-30-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
basically just looking to upgrade for the future. I'm upgrading a few things in the home theater, so I think it would be easier to get everything done at about the same time, set-up wise.
That makes sense, but I'm not sold that 7.1 will become a standard codec prior to when you'll be ready to upgrade again.
Old 05-30-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well recommending speakers is not the issue.

As seen in this diagram on Dolby's website, if you cannot place the speakers on the side then it may not be possible to do a 7.1 setup in that room

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic_IIx.html
The left side is no problem, its the right side. Either I can hang a sepaker from the ceiling (not hard, low ceiling), or move it a few feet outside the listening "rectangle" to work. I guess I'm at least exploring the options to see if it can work and what might be viable placement/cost wise.
Old 05-30-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The left side is no problem, its the right side. Either I can hang a sepaker from the ceiling (not hard, low ceiling), or move it a few feet outside the listening "rectangle" to work. I guess I'm at least exploring the options to see if it can work and what might be viable placement/cost wise.
The important thing to remember here is symmetry.

My best advice would be to echo what DVD Josh has already said. Run the wires and wait to see if you ever need them.
Old 05-30-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW, hanging the side speakers is the best way to do it, anyway. The surround material really works from up above. You just don't want to hit your head on them.
Old 05-30-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Yeah, I would go with mounting it on the ceiling (the other side too, so they match). Shouldn't be too difficult.