Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I go LCD or Plasma?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be buying a new set soon to replace my 37" Toshiba tube television. I want an HD flat screen, but I do not want a projector, so I'm looking at LCD or plasma. I've done some preliminary research, and the consensus seems to be that the plasma picture is generally better than the LCD. I'm worried about burn-in on plasmas, though. I went to Sears today, and the clerk, who didn't seem terribly knowledgeable, said that burn-in risk is reduced in today's plasmas, but that's it's still a problem, especially if you watch channels with constant icons, such as CNN. If that's true, then that is a problem for me because I watch CNN a lot. He said LCD does not have that problem. Is this true?

I did decide that I want a 50", and I have heard that Panasonic is a good choice for plasmas. I will have to buy at Sears to take advantage of the deferred interest specials, and I would like to stay below $2000. That's the only way I am going to be able to swing this. They have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U on clearance for $1799 (regular $2799) that is in my price range. If I go LCD, it looks like I will have to go with a 42" to stay in my price range.

Suggestions?
Old 05-14-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy the Panny TH-50PX60U.
Old 05-14-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, here's the plasma I am eying: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfmg.0
Old 05-14-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Buy the Panny TH-50PX60U.
Can you relieve my fears about burn-in at all? I just read an article at Plasma TV Buying Guide that said it's not as big a problem as it used to be but that you should still not leave a static image on the screen for over an hour. Does that mean I can't watch CNN, for example, for more than an hour at a time?
Old 05-14-07, 02:45 PM

I have the TH-50PX60U and can tell you that unless you leave something static for a long time, the chance of burn in happening is small.

Even CNN and Discovery have commercials every 5-10 minutes, removing the logo from the screen.

We love the TV, now to talk the wife into a HD player.
Old 05-14-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In early April, I bought the Panny TH-50PX600U (their higher end model), and used to have the burn-in fears, but I am done with my 100 hours of bland viewing (just zero out the video settings for the first 100 hours of viewing), and don't even think about the burn-in issue (not to say it won't happen, but life is short, why deny yourself a lot of good for a small possibility of bad).

I watch shows in 3-hour chunks nightly in primetime, and sometimes the set is subjected to the network bugs in the corner from the same network, but I haven't seen any burn-in effects from them. Plus, do you need to watch more than an hour or two of CNN on a daily basis?
Old 05-14-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GreenEggs248
I have the TH-50PX60U and can tell you that unless you leave something static for a long time, the chance of burn in happening is small.

Even CNN and Discovery have commercials every 5-10 minutes, removing the logo from the screen.

We love the TV, now to talk the wife into a HD player.
Very good point! Why did I not even consider the fact that the logo disappears for commercials? That makes me feel much better.
Old 05-14-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Patman
Plus, do you need to watch more than an hour or two of CNN on a daily basis?
No, and I generally don't. But every now and then I might, and I would hate to invest $2000 in something that I would sit there and worry about constantly. From the articles I've been reading, it sounds like it's almost a non-factor anymore. The guy at Sears got me a little nervous about it, though.
Old 05-14-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. After reading a few reviews and figuring out the finances, I decided it was a good deal and I didn't want to miss out since it was a "while supplies last" deal. I'm a little scared but excited, too. I usually don't act that fast on such a big purchase.
Old 05-14-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Excellent purchase. What sources are you using? You do have HD sources, don't you?
Old 05-14-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Boot
Can you relieve my fears about burn-in at all? I just read an article at Plasma TV Buying Guide that said it's not as big a problem as it used to be but that you should still not leave a static image on the screen for over an hour. Does that mean I can't watch CNN, for example, for more than an hour at a time?
I received my 50" Panasonic plasma a week ago today. You want to make sure the first 100-150 hours are not not above the "0" levels of the color, contrast, sharpness, brightness, etc., and should be even in the "-5" realm. Currently, I'm about 50-hours into the break-in period.

Trust me. A plasma is worth the almost non-existent possibility of a burn-in. The only way you could do it, is if you froze your DVD player for 10hrs or more the first day you got the set. And even then, I don't know. Video games should be held off until 200hrs or so (just my own advice--many disagree with it).

I pulled the trigger like you did. I was originally going to get a 42" plasma, but I scraped the bottom of my budget barrel to get a 50". I think it was well worth it and I knew I would have regretted getting the 42". Main reason for me is the 42" plasmas are not 720p native. Panasonic has newer models coming out that are but I didn't want to spend over $1700--sort of like your budget. Anything over $2K is getting into serious territory--and I'm just not that brave yet.

Get the TH-50PX60U and you might qualify for the extra 4-year warranty too, depending on the model.
Old 05-14-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Excellent purchase. What sources are you using? You do have HD sources, don't you?
Thanks. From the feedback, it sounds like I did the right thing. I have DirecTV, so I will be calling them in the next couple of days to talk to them about an HD feed.
Old 05-14-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I received my 50" Panasonic plasma a week ago today. You want to make sure the first 100-150 hours are not not above the "0" levels of the color, contrast, sharpness, brightness, etc., and should be even in the "-5" realm. Currently, I'm about 50-hours into the break-in period.

Trust me. A plasma is worth the almost non-existent possibility of a burn-in. The only way you could do it, is if you froze your DVD player for 10hrs or more the first day you got the set. And even then, I don't know. Video games should be held off until 200hrs or so (just my own advice--many disagree with it).

I pulled the trigger like you did. I was originally going to get a 42" plasma, but I scraped the bottom of my budget barrel to get a 50". I think it was well worth it and I knew I would have regretted getting the 42". Main reason for me is the 42" plasmas are not 720p native. Panasonic has newer models coming out that are but I didn't want to spend over $1700--sort of like your budget. Anything over $2K is getting into serious territory--and I'm just not that brave yet.

Get the TH-50PX60U and you might qualify for the extra 4-year warranty too, depending on the model.
I am so glad to hear you say this. The way the Sears guy talked, it sounded inevitable that the plasma would experience burn-in. But like I said, I got the distinct impression that he knew less than he wanted to let on.

Thanks for the tips on break-in as well. I'll make sure to study up on the best way to care for the set.
Old 05-14-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Boot
Thanks. From the feedback, it sounds like I did the right thing. I have DirecTV, so I will be calling them in the next couple of days to talk to them about an HD feed.
Don't forget to consider OTA HD...about the best tv you can get.
Old 05-14-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Don't forget to consider OTA HD...about the best tv you can get.
OTA means Over the Airwaves, yes? I don't think that's a possibility for me, unfortunately. I live in a rural area surrounded by mountains. I can't pick up anything on an antennae here.
Old 05-14-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is why you get a plasma (reprinted from my own Panny plasma thread):

Here are a couple of screen shots (of Carrie Underwood on a SNL repeat 2 weeks ago):

Photo 4

Photo 5
Old 05-15-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's another tip: Watch CNN on a cheaper TV. Not much point on the brand-new HDTV, anyway.
Old 05-15-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I paused my Panasonic Plasma the other day for 4 hours, by mistake of course.

No burn-in.
No temporary whatever you call it when the image stays for a little while and then goes away.

Dont even worry about it. I dont.
Old 05-15-07, 11:42 AM

The temporary thing is called image retention. I've never even noticed it, or any burn in, on my Panny 42" ED plasma.

You can download a break-in DVD here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6230381

Enjoy your plasma, take a few precautions, and don't worry about burn-in!
Old 05-15-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, after all that I'm not getting the Panasonic plasma after all. I got an email from Sears today saying that my order had been cancelled because demand exceeded supply. I have been on the phone and have gone round and round with a supervisor who claims that there are none left anywhere. This is despite the fact that it still says that it is "in stock" on the website. I am just so disappointed.
Old 05-15-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can you swing $500 on your own and then buy the TH-50PX75U? If not, it was meant to be. Just hold tight for a little while. They will get more in. And more than likely, they will have a fresher manufacture date on them.
Old 05-18-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Can you swing $500 on your own and then buy the TH-50PX75U? If not, it was meant to be. Just hold tight for a little while. They will get more in. And more than likely, they will have a fresher manufacture date on them.
There's a happy ending to this story! I went and talked to my local Sears, and they price matched the TH-50PX75U for me against Butterfly Photo, which is selling the same unit for nearly $900 cheaper. PLUS they gave me an additional discount of 10% off the difference. PLUS they are not charging me shipping. After all was said and done, I ended up getting the 75U for about $400 cheaper than I would have paid for the 60U. AND it will be here Tuesday.

After the crappy experience I had with Sears online, my local Sears went above and beyond to help me. They have my business for good. I am very pleased.
Old 05-18-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Banana Dance for Boot!

Congrats. You're going to have a lot of fun watching movies.
Old 05-18-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The TH-50PX60U was down to $1400 at Fry's one day sale today. My jaw dropped, almost wondering if it would fit well in my bedroom...