DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer could this blow it?

Old 05-02-07, 11:30 PM

Subwoofer could this blow it?

I bought a jensen subwoofer. The case is a jensen JBP 1010 its a dual bandpass 10" sub. I have been told that its max wattage is 600 watts between both. So i am guessing its about 150 RMS per input not sure though haven't had a chance to open her up. I am driving it with a AKAI AM-2600. Its a 4 ohm subwoofer.This is the only link i have: http://hjem.get2net.dk/harley/Jensen/jbp.htm#1 but its a home site can't help much for RMS. Anyway so this AKAI is 60 watt per channel at 4 ohms. So i am under-powering the speaker. I was told by someone that i can wreck the sub by doing this as it has to push more air. I think he just means if i clip the amp? I understand how clipping the amp could cause problems. The amp has old school wattage gauges on it. And almost the whole time i am under 40 watts per channel. Also I heard that back in the day when that amp was put out the measurements were VERY conservative is that true? So is there nothing to worry about if i stay below 60 watts per channel? Thanks just being on the safe side.
Old 05-03-07, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure I understand the question.

Is the sub blown? Are you asking if clipping will damage the sub? The answer is yes.
Old 05-03-07, 08:38 AM

Sorry, I was told that if I drove the sub with a amp that was too small I could blow the sub. Is that true? or only if i am clipping the amp? Currently the sub is fine.
Old 05-03-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macman64
Sorry, I was told that if I drove the sub with a amp that was too small I could blow the sub. Is that true? or only if i am clipping the amp? Currently the sub is fine.
Well to clarify terminology, "blowing" the sub would mean to overdrive the speaker. "Clipping" is underdriving the speaker and will cause damage.

Either way if the mismatch is too great you will damage the sub and possibly even the amp.
Old 05-03-07, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well to clarify terminology, "blowing" the sub would mean to overdrive the speaker. "Clipping" is underdriving the speaker and will cause damage.

Either way if the mismatch is too great you will damage the sub and possibly even the amp.
So it will be fine if i just watch those meters and never push it too hard?
Old 05-03-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's put it another way: Blowing is overdriving the speaker. Clipping is overdriving the amp, which damages both amp and speaker.

Yes, you should be fine for normal use, keeping it within its range.