DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Prices of HDTV in two years?

Old 04-17-07, 03:22 PM

Prices of HDTV in two years?

Hey guys,

You may recognize me from all my posts the past few months here on the home theater forum. Anyway, I am a sophomore in college and was looking for a quality hdtv (want something i wont regret). I have the money saved, but was starting to think of the practicality of it all. I wouldnt want to bring it to school, simply because i dont trust it being there, and would only use it on breaks and summer, when Im around. Do you guys believe that prices will fall even further in the next two years; would it be sensible to wait until my run is over and get one when I'm more 'settled' (Ha, and yes I know this isnt like a marriage or anything)? I am looking at the size range between 40-46", if that helps. It also seems like I missed out on the panny plasma at a $1100 price range, which I was seriously considering. Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-17-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would say that in 2 years, the prices will be the same, but the technology will be leaps and bounds ahead. Lamp based DLPs will probably be on the way out, like CRT-RPTVs are now. There will be more LED based choices, and probably even new stuff.

I got a 32" Westinghouse LCD for $699 (and $140 giftcard back) this weekend. THat could be something to tide you over.

If you wait for prices to come down, there will always be something else on the horizon.
Old 04-17-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you are thinking too much. buy a set to tide you over and bring it to school. the more you worry about this stuff, the less you enjoy it.

i wouldnt bring a huge plasma to school, but i would definitely buy a 2nd tier 32-37" for the dorm that is easily brought home for summers and enjoy it for now.

in a couple of years you could stick that in your bedroom and buy a nice sized plasma for your living room in that phat apartment you and the boys will be sharing in stamford.
Old 04-17-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jigga6286
Hey guys,

You may recognize me from ...
Troy?