Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Logitech Harmony owners - HELP!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the 520 recently and here's my scenario:

Everything is turned off, I choose "play xbox 360" and the tv, receiver, xbox 360 turns on.

I want to watch tv because I just got chainsawed in Gears of War and have to wait for the nex tround.

I click on "watch tv" and the 360 turns off, I don't want it to be turned off.

On the tv activity setup, I changed "leave unused items" on. That's the solution until....

I'm browsing the channels and see a close basketball game, so I decide I'd rather watch the game then play 360. So I want to turn it off in my "watch tv" activity so I won't miss any second of the basketball game. There's no button for it because the 360 device is not included in "watch tv" activity. I include 360 to "watch tv" and customized a button for power off for the 360. I thought this would fix my problem..wrong.

If everything is turned off and I choose "watch tv", the 360 also turns on, I don't want it to do that.

So my question is: Is there an option where I can include a device in my activity but not turn it on when I choose the activity. I want it to be in its current state (whether my xbox is on because I'm waiting for the next game, or it's totally off)

Any advice is apreciated.
Old 04-10-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Get up and turn off the 360...

OR

Use the 360 remote to turn it off.

Problem solved, and you're welcome.
Old 04-10-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your wisdom but the point of a $100 remote is to:

control everything with one remote(the device doesn't necessarily have to be the xbox, it can be a DVD player). Yes it maybe hard to believe but that includes turning off a device with just one controller, not two.

I don't have to get out of my couch.
Old 04-10-07, 07:16 PM
JIF

I'm a Harmony remote user for the past 3 years now. Whenever a devise comes on that shouldn't be on, press the "Help" button and follow the prompts to confirm which devises should be on. When the devise that shouldn't be on comes up in the prompt, simply indicate that it shouldn't be on. Then the remote will save the command.

Afterwards, press the off button to turn the activity off and then press the activity to turn it on again.

If the same (or another) devise comes on when it shouldn't, repeat the "Help" button steps until everything is set up correctly.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
I have my 360 setting set to always off or always on.

You lose the ability to automatically control the 360 when selecting it as an activity, but you can always go to it through the device button to control it.
Old 04-10-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the advice. I overlooked the devices button!
Old 04-11-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I quite often forget about the devices button as well. So many other functions using that tab.
Old 04-11-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm always going to the "Devices" button because sometimes I want to "Watch TV" just through the TV speakers, sometimes I want to hear it through the receiver, so I turn that on separately.
Old 04-11-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently my TV does not have discrete on/off commands (Mits WD-57731) so when I switch from say "watch TV" to "DVD" the remote sends the power command, which turns the set off.

This was fine with my Sony because it had discrete commands and nothing will happen, but it is a giant pain with my DLP. Where do I change the power settings?
Old 04-11-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The words on the software might not be the same as mine but hopefully it's enough that it'll change your settings.

Open up the Harmony software -

Click on devices tab, choose your device, choose --> change settings choose power settings. I believe it then asks you several questions regarding discrete on/off commands.

Last edited by matrixrok9; 04-11-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i have an 880 and am becoming increasingly frustrated with this. there is a big delay when pressing buttons.

if i enter a channel number manually, it takes so long that sometimes i think it didnt "take" so i press it again but both end up taking and i have to start entering the channel numbers again.

very frustrating.
Old 04-11-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
i have an 880 and am becoming increasingly frustrated with this. there is a big delay when pressing buttons.

if i enter a channel number manually, it takes so long that sometimes i think it didnt "take" so i press it again but both end up taking and i have to start entering the channel numbers again.

very frustrating.

Click on devices tab, choose your device, select settings, configuration --> choose remote response. Default setitng is pretty slow but they want to make sure all of the devices will read the remote. I changed mine from 500ms to 0. Still not as fast as the old controllers but way faster.

I just realized i'm becoming a master on this remote because of the dilemma I encountered yesterday.

Last edited by matrixrok9; 04-11-07 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9

Click on devices tab, choose your device, select settings, configuration --> choose remote response. Default setitng is pretty slow but they want to make sure all of the devices will read the remote. I changed mine from 500ms to 0. Still not as fast as the old controllers but way faster.

I just realized i'm becoming a master on this remote because of the dilemma I encountered yesterday.

awesome! i am going to try this...thanks!