Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What the heck is wrong with my DVD player.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Edit - I know now the player is shot so this thread is now discussing player reccomendations. Left for those who later search for the H07 problem*

Today has been such a shitty day, now this. My player (Panasonic RP62) was working perfect last night when saw a bond movie and a few seinfelds later on. Today when I turn it on, it loads up the DVD just fine, but when I went to a submenu "episodes" it blacked out and went to the loading screen.

Than some word that looks like "HO7" popped up on the player screen (where it usually shows the time). I thought maybe it means "HOT" but it cant be as I just turned it on, its cold in the house and the player is cool to the touch.

Turning it back on it wont load, stays on the loading screen (which flickers as it attempts to load) but the player menus "setup, sleep, etc" all work fine. It just wont load a DVD. Please tell me this didnt go out as I just had to get a fucking dryer on saturday that went out Fuck!

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-09-07 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 04:46 PM

the good news is....DVD players can be had for cheap...cheaper than dryers...

other than that...i got nothing.
Old 04-09-07, 05:02 PM

Shit, I just looked this up real quick and it seems Panasonic is famous for this H07 error. It last me at least 2 years, maybe 4 at the most, but this is bull.

Ok mod, change the title of this thread to "Can somone reccomend a good DVD player?"

Now that I know my player is gone, I have to buy another. Any suggestions? Progressive is a must, a zoom feature is needed (for non anamorphic DVD), and thats about it. I dont know why, but zoom on my panny never worked, clashed with the TV maybe? I was thinking of getting a DVDR combo to use it as my new VCR but after this error Im weary on what to buy.
Old 04-09-07, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
the good news is....DVD players can be had for cheap...cheaper than dryers...

other than that...i got nothing.
Thank god for that
Old 04-09-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the Oppo can be found (970HD) for around $150 (less if refurb) and is region free, plays just about every type of video file plus SACD and DVD-A.

I don't know if the upconverting is a bonus for you or not, as you didn't specify the television.

Oppo routinely upgrades firmware when necessary to keep the player up to date with any problems discovered.

It is highly recommended around this site.

If you want just a standard DVD player, probably any ~$50 from you local big box store would probably suffice.
Old 04-09-07, 05:19 PM

My TV is a Panasonic PT-47WX49

Yea, I was thier bitch thinking they had high quality shit. The Oppo sounds interesting, but I should note I want quality. Is it better than most? I wouldnt mind getting a region free player and $150 isnt bad at all. But how would I upgrade firmware; does it plug into the internet?

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-09-07 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oppodigital.com

I have the 970HD. The updates are *.iso files I think. You just burn them to a CD and run it in the player.
The player seems cheap, but it compared to some $1000 players.
It has USB if you want to play .mp3s or pictures from a memory stick.
Old 04-09-07, 05:32 PM

Im looking at Amazon now and it seems to get good reviews. How long have you had yours?

Im new to this whole upconverting thing. What is it?

Also this may be a dumb question, but my reciever is 7.1, that number doesnt matter for DVD players right? I already have monstercables, optical and everything hooked up so I should be ready to go for a best picture player.
Old 04-09-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon sometimes take 2 weeks to ship, I got mine in about 3 or 4 days (negating the weekend).

I have had mine for a month or two. I have a review thread around here someplace. As for upconverting, I am not sure what the resolution is of your set. The player will convert the DVD output to that resolution for the set, which in many cases is better then the TV internal scalers. I believe yours may be 1080i which will be output directly to the set which will then only need to display the image with-out altering it.

I guess unless your set has HDMI (or DVI) then you would need to apply to component hack to upscale of component (also assuming your set receives that resolution via component).

The player will send audio via analog, optical or digital coax, which will work fine with your configuration.
Old 04-09-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would go for an Oppo as well.
Old 04-09-07, 09:22 PM

Yea my TV is 1080i. I am using Monster component and optical coax. But with HDMI I wouldnt need any of this? I have to check the back of the TV to see if it has the connection.

Im doing reasearch now on all this and its all pretty interesting. This DVD player would be a huge step up from what I have now. Is there a way I can see what my Pannasonic was putting out? Im guessing at best it was 420p. Oh and I cant check the manual as it was lost.
Old 04-10-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your old DVD player (progressive) was putting out 480p.

IF your TV accepts HDMI then you can run the video with that, but still send the optical to your receiver for the audio. I think you may need to connect the analog connections if you want SACD/DVD-A playback as well.

As for your cables, check out monoprice.com next time. You would probably save enough over Monster to cover the cost of the Oppo DVD player.
Old 04-10-07, 02:58 PM

Checked last night, and theres NO HDMI or DVI

Does that mean this player is useless to me as I can only go through monster components? Ive seen mention of a component hack. I hope its as simple as entering a code or am I gonna have to do alot of work for this?

BTW, thanks alot for taking the time to discuss this stuff with me. Its really appreciated.
Old 04-10-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First make sure your TV accepts 1080i (or 720p) via components.
Even if this is not true, it is still a decent player, but you could probably get a lot of the same for less.

Then the hack can be installed the same way as the firmware update above. It is just an older version (there are some SACD changes you won't get) with the component hack.

If you get the player, I can help you locate the hack.
Old 04-10-07, 04:59 PM

Well my TV says on the set itself "HDTV -1080i-"

If theres a way to set it to 720p or anything else, I have no idea how and never read how in the manual (I dont think its even there). I assume it gets it though as we have digital cable and its set up with monster cables and setup through the cable box at 1080i. Now through the cable box I can adjust the signal to 720p, 480i, whatever. But I cannot adjust anything on the TV. Does this kinda answer it or am I missing something?

As for the hack, do I have to burn that to a CD or would I be able to install it through the USB port (instead of wasting a CDR or DVDR)?

Thanks for saying youll help me locate the hack, it looks like I'll need it
Old 04-10-07, 05:00 PM

I also found your "My Oppo 970HD Experience/Notes (LONG)" THread and Im gonna read that to see if any questions I have would be there.
Old 04-10-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Well my TV says on the set itself "HDTV -1080i-"

If theres a way to set it to 720p or anything else, I have no idea how and never read how in the manual (I dont think its even there). I assume it gets it though as we have digital cable and its set up with monster cables and setup through the cable box at 1080i. Now through the cable box I can adjust the signal to 720p, 480i, whatever. But I cannot adjust anything on the TV. Does this kinda answer it or am I missing something?

As for the hack, do I have to burn that to a CD or would I be able to install it through the USB port (instead of wasting a CDR or DVDR)?

Thanks for saying youll help me locate the hack, it looks like I'll need it

Your TV is native 1080i, so whatever signal you send to it (480i, 480p,720p, 1080i) will be converted to 1080i by the set and displayed. Sending other resolutions will just necessitate conversion by the set, which is why 1080i is probably the best.

For example, I send signals to my TV at 720p which then converts them to 1080p. This is better than 1080i for me because my set is better at scaling than deinterlacing.

As for the update, I am pretty sure the only method right now is CD, USB is not used for updates.

EDIT: It looks like your TV will accept 1080i (or 480p) via component. I found it here:
http://www.fixya.com/support/p231755...l-7825/page-15

Last edited by jonw9; 04-10-07 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is the hack, with some decent instructions.

http://www.lament.us/oppo/

There is also a new program someplace that hacks the latest firmware on your PC. If you want to try that, I can show you where, but I did not or plan on trying it myself.
Old 04-11-07, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the 2 links. Especailly the online manual, I lost mine in a move. I ordered the DVD player and according to Amazon Prime I should get it in 2 days, by Friday.

I will read as much as possible and see what I have to do for the ultimate set up. I saw in your thread you dont use the the multiregion feature, I plan on using it so do you have any links or reccomendations on how I do this? Or is the feature just as simple as clicking something to enable it?
Old 04-11-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if we are supposed to link to other forums, but here is 200+ pages. Basically all the info you will need is on the first page.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=682896

I don't use the region feature because I don't have any DVDs from other regions, that is all. It is as easy as entering a code on the remote.
Old 04-13-07, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
Here is the hack, with some decent instructions.

http://www.lament.us/oppo/

There is also a new program someplace that hacks the latest firmware on your PC. If you want to try that, I can show you where, but I did not or plan on trying it myself.

Got the player today and am messing with it. I burned the file in the link and it didnt work the first time but it worked fine now. However, when I used the HDMI button it stays on 480p and wont let me switch to anything else. Very confusing...

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-13-07 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-13-07, 07:15 PM

I should note that I have:

MVER: 05.00.01.07 Batch: 1A-0613
Old 04-13-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Got the player today and am messing with it. I burned the file in the link and it didnt work the first time but it worked fine now. However, when I used the HDMI button it stays on 480p and wont let me switch to anything else. Very confusing...
You can't switch while the DVD is playing.

Press stop, the HDMI button to scroll through, then play again. The display on the player will indicate what resolution you are on.
Old 04-13-07, 09:27 PM

Just got home (yea I couldnt stay out long with the DVD sitting here lol) and youre right thats the way to do it! Thanks alot! I have it on 1080i

However when I go to 720 i or p it gets REALLY snowy and fuzzy, there is NO picture at all. It looks horrible. WHy is that happening?
Old 04-13-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From reading on your display (and what I posted above) your TV only accepts 1080i or 480p (and more than likely 480i) via component. So when you send 720p your set doesn't know what to do with it.

Also, I have been reading that the hack program has been working successfully on the newer firmware, but I think the firmware updates only really fix SACD issues, so it is up to you if you need the newer stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.