Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Panasonic PT-AE1000U LCD Projector?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend, from personal experience, the Panasonic PT-AE1000U 1080p LCD projector? It comes highly recommended by others. Here is what The Digital Bits has to say about it: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/ptae1000u.html .

I don’t want to go HD until the dust settles on the format war. So I would view standard DVD, laserdisc, VHS and cable TV. I currently have a Sharp LCD projector that has been satisfactory, though a tad on the dark side, and a 6’ x 9’ screen. My feeling is that this projector will do well with standard DVD and do very well with HD-DVD or Blu-ray in the future.

Before I put out $4,000 I wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks.
Old 03-22-07, 01:04 PM

Probably should ask in the DVD and home theater gear forum.
Old 03-22-07, 01:17 PM

Thanks.Actually I did not know there was such a forum. I need to start looking at the list more often more often.

Would a moderator please move this?
Old 03-22-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I currently use the 900, which I decided on because of the price. It is only 720, but because of the price, I would think about that instead....for two reasons. First, prices on these things continue to fall all the time, and since you aren't using it for HD, you can probably buy the 900 now and upgrade to the 1000 when you do decide to jump in for about the same total price. Secondly, 720 is pretty amazing. Depending on the size of screen, etc. it is hard to say if you will notice a huge difference to 1080. If you are using sat. HD tv, most is 720 anyway. And since it seems you aren't an early adopter type, save your money. The 900 will blow you out of the water.
Old 03-22-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
You know, I tend to agree with kvrdave. Why go 1080p now if you have no intention of running 1080p to it now? Fair enough that you want to wait for the format wars to settle, but that will be a couple years, I would think. At least.

When my poor old X1 had 3000 hours on the bulb I thought about going 1080p. But couldn't justify the price at this point with the limited sources out there. And I have a PS3!!! So I went with the HD70 (720p). OTA HD looks incredible! Blu-ray is excellent as well. I don't think I have it quite calibrated right for HDMI blu-ray, but I'm getting there.

You can pick up the HD70 for less then $900 and perhaps if it works in your room, the Mit HD1000U for about the same price. If you prefer LCD, Pannasoic has a 720p version out for about $1,500 or less. Heck you may still be able to find the 900 that kvrdave uses as well as the Sanyo Z4 both of which should be in the grand range, I would think.

With so little now invested, you could upgrade to 1080p in three years when it would be about the time to replace the bulb anyway. And as kvrdave mentions, 720p on a large screen is awesome!!!
Old 03-22-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thirded. I also have the AE900, watching it right now.
Old 03-22-07, 11:58 PM

Thanks to all who responded.

Now I see why I missed this forum. The select forum list at the top left of the screen just says "DVD hardware" while the one at the bottom right says "DVD and Home Theater Gear." I generally use the top left selecter for navigating.
Old 03-23-07, 07:01 AM

Just took my Pana PTAE900E out of its box for the first time (mind you - i've had it for nearly 1 year IN THE BOX !!). Got some component cable - and turned it on - a blank wall in the lounge - and was amazed by the picture (hey - THIS AINT THE PERFECT SET UP - and its because of this that it had been sitting around for so long in the box !!)

For the price - the picture is AMAZING.

Do I really 'want' 1080p ?? (heck - we don't have anything like that downunder !!)

What difference is really going to make on a projector in a 'non perfect set-up' ??

Are you eyes REALLY going to notice the difference ??

Its bound now to get used all the time !!!
Old 03-23-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyjg
Just took my Pana PTAE900E out of its box for the first time (mind you - i've had it for nearly 1 year IN THE BOX !!). Got some component cable - and turned it on - a blank wall in the lounge - and was amazed by the picture (hey - THIS AINT THE PERFECT SET UP - and its because of this that it had been sitting around for so long in the box !!)

For the price - the picture is AMAZING.

Do I really 'want' 1080p ?? (heck - we don't have anything like that downunder !!)

What difference is really going to make on a projector in a 'non perfect set-up' ??

Are you eyes REALLY going to notice the difference ??

Its bound now to get used all the time !!!
Assuming your wall is a light off white with a touch of gray, that could be a good color for that pj!
Old 03-23-07, 11:23 AM
Suspended

I'd personally wait for 1080p to come down a bit more. A 720p Mitsubishi HD1000U DLP can be had for as low as $850. It's hard to beat that bang for your buck. You'll most likely have to sit closer than 1.5x the screen width to see a difference between 720p and 1080p 95% of the time.

The HD1000U is a great upgrade unit. You buy it, keep it for a little while and sell it when ever units come out for less.

It's amazing what you can get for not much money now. Here's what can be had for $300-$400 now:

Infocus 4805:

12' wide screenshot on my matte pale gray wall. Taken with a camcorder with one shaded light in the room. It may not look it, but I still comfortably read the newspaper in the room. This shot was blurred a bit in post because of my camcorder's high grain. So, the actual image is smoother, sharper and simply better all around.

On my silver torus screen:

Old 03-23-07, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will also recommend the AE900 as a good projector to go with. I purchased an Optoma H31, which is 480P, as my first projector. Then about a year later I won a HD-DVD player and decided to upgrade to the AE900. The main reason I went with this unit was the incredible flexibility you have when you install it. I have a rather small room, 18 x 13, and 7 foot ceilings. This really limited what projector I could buy without having a distorted picture...

Anyways, I have really enjoyed the picture quality I get with my AE900...
Old 03-23-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by COACH2369
I will also recommend the AE900 as a good projector to go with. I purchased an Optoma H31, which is 480P, as my first projector. Then about a year later I won a HD-DVD player and decided to upgrade to the AE900. The main reason I went with this unit was the incredible flexibility you have when you install it. I have a rather small room, 18 x 13, and 7 foot ceilings. This really limited what projector I could buy without having a distorted picture...

Anyways, I have really enjoyed the picture quality I get with my AE900...
Yup, many of the LCD's are nice with that lens shift. I'm still working on getting my HD70 just perfect. But it is an excuse to built another slightly larger screen. Will then have to lower it just a touch....
Old 03-23-07, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yup, many of the LCD's are nice with that lens shift. I'm still working on getting my HD70 just perfect. But it is an excuse to built another slightly larger screen. Will then have to lower it just a touch....
I still prefer DLP over LCD because I think the black levels are better but...... the 900 does a great job with blacks.....
Old 03-23-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I still prefer DLP over LCD because I think the black levels are better but...... the 900 does a great job with blacks.....
I also prefer DLP, but the 720s were still real expensive when I bought, and, like you said, the 900 does as good a job on black as I have seen in any lcd.
Old 03-23-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I agree...see I got a HD70 (DLP). I had a X1 before and like the image so saw no reason to change technologies.

I was just pointing out that the lens shift on the panny is nice. For me, I'd rather work a little and go with DLP, but others might not.
Old 03-23-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The AE900 is virtually identical in black level to all the DLPs mentioned in this thread. (except the X1, which is well below the others) I had a top-notch DLP before the AE900, black level didn't change at all. The DLP was a bit crisper. I don't really have any complaints either way. RBE bothers me, but not most people. Any of these inexpensive PJs are well worth the price.
Old 03-24-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
The AE900 is virtually identical in black level to all the DLPs mentioned in this thread. (except the X1, which is well below the others) I had a top-notch DLP before the AE900, black level didn't change at all. The DLP was a bit crisper. I don't really have any complaints either way. RBE bothers me, but not most people. Any of these inexpensive PJs are well worth the price.
Yup and I think placement really becomes an issue. I wanted to go with the Mit HD100U, but I just didn't think I could make its large lens offset work with my two row set up (without adding to my riser).

Anyway, in this thread there are 4-5 very good, low cost PJ's that I would think you would be very happy with for several years. Then as it comes time to change the bulb (2-3 years) you can decide if you really want to make the jump to 1080p. If you do, you don't have so much invested that you would feel like your throwing money away AND you have enjoyed a great picture all along.
Old 03-24-07, 10:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Since I am not going to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray right now I've decided to wait on the AE1000U. If I do buy in a year or so I 'm sure there will be a newer model or lower price.

My current Sharp projector does a pretty good job (week on the blacks, though). I'm on the third bulb since I bought it in 1995. Next time it needs service might be the best time to move up to a 720p projector.

Again, I appreciate all the good advice.
Old 03-24-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Since I am not going to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray right now I've decided to wait on the AE1000U. If I do buy in a year or so I 'm sure there will be a newer model or lower price.

My current Sharp projector does a pretty good job (week on the blacks, though). I'm on the third bulb since I bought it in 1995. Next time it needs service might be the best time to move up to a 720p projector.

Again, I appreciate all the good advice.
I debated and debated when my X1 had 3000 hours on it. New bulb? New 1080p pj? New 720p pj? I ended up with a 720p (HD70) and very happy. The upgrade is signifant enough to enjoy the set up, but no so much money that I couldn't upgrade again in a couple of years if I wanted.
Old 03-24-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good article I ran across,

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advi...tors/index.asp
Old 03-25-07, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
It definitely is. Anyone thinking of buying a new projector should read all the parts. I bookmarked the site for future readings.