Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good receiver with at least 3 hdmi in?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I see lots with 2 hdmi in, but I need at least 3 for now. And for analog inputs, are there receivers with more than one set?

Oh and under $100.

Also what the heck is the difference between hdmi 1.1, 1.2 etc.? Is this the type of thing I should wait on?
Old 03-08-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I see lots with 2 hdmi in, but I need at least 3 for now. And for analog inputs, are there receivers with more than one set?

Oh and under $100.

Also what the heck is the difference between hdmi 1.1, 1.2 etc.? Is this the type of thing I should wait on?
Not sure you can find one under $100, the 5x1 hdmi switch from Monoprice is more than that.

You can google the different specs, but imho it is worth waiting.
Old 03-08-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I have the monoprice switch, actually. It would just be nice not to have another switch in the middle of everything. And what exactly would I be waiting for? What is on the horizon? And why is it cool?
Old 03-08-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
How many hdmi devices do you have?

Here is a link on the new standard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
Old 03-08-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I currently have 2, but will have 3 before the end of the year.
Old 03-08-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Dave, the Denon 48xx series is probably your best bet, but MSRP is $2k. If I were you, I'd stick with your switch until the prices come down a bit, probably around the end of the year. It's not worth paying another $1k for the additional input.
Old 03-08-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wanted to get the Pioneer Elite 84txi($1500.00) because it sports four HDMI inputs but the LFE issue killed it for me.
Old 03-09-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
No offense, but I'm still not clear on why someone would really need a HT receiver with 3 or 4 HDMI's at the price they are selling these. Is it simply to use the receiver as a switcher? To run 2-3 less wires?
Old 03-09-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing a refurbished Onkyo with NO HDMI inputs. Is using a switcher in the future really that big of a pain?
Old 03-09-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Maybe I am all off on the switcher deal. I tend to shun having additional gadgets in between my source and my receiver, as well as my receiver and my speakers, or anything else. But maybe that isn't an issue with HDMI.
Old 03-09-07, 10:48 AM

Maybe I am all off on the switcher deal. I tend to shun having additional gadgets in between my source and my receiver, as well as my receiver and my speakers, or anything else. But maybe that isn't an issue with HDMI.
switchers dont appeal to me either.

what sources do you have connected to your receiver?

I was in the same position as you as I wanted to run everything over hdmi.

i have a ps3, Tivo S3, and an upconverting DVD player all with HDMI output.

i run the dvd player over component since there is no need for me to run it over HDMI.

i bought my yammy with only 2/1 hdmi and only my tivo and ps3 over hdmi.

temp solution until the newer receivers come out and they get a bit cheaper.

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm thinking of purchasing a refurbished Onkyo with NO HDMI inputs. Is using a switcher in the future really that big of a pain?
how would you add an hdmi switcher onto a receiver with no HDMI input? you need at least 1.
Old 03-09-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get me wrong, I understand and would also like the "convenience" of it. However, those prices are seriously ridiculous. I'd think you would be much better off getting a high end receiver (even an Outlaw or separates) and using a HDMI switcher. I would think you would lose more quality in these receivers then in a decent switcher.

I mean something like an Outlaw + HDMI switcher

or

$1,500 on a Pioneer HT receiver

To me any gains (if there are any) in eliminating the HDMI switcher, would be re-lost in the drop in quality from something like an Outlaw (or even H/K, Denon) to something like the Pioneer.
Old 03-09-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
how would you add an hdmi switcher onto a receiver with no HDMI input? you need at least 1.
Man, that's what happens when you get called into work at 5am... sorry, my brain was not functioning with that question!
Old 03-09-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
switchers dont appeal to me either.

what sources do you have connected to your receiver?
I don't have hdmi in my current receiver. I have an HD-DVD player that I input analog signals to, and the other is Dish HD DVR which I use optical. They both go to a switch and go directly to the projector. But I am looking to add a PS3 at some point, and maybe something else.
Old 03-09-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get a good universal remote with macro capability and the switcher should be fine.
Old 03-10-07, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dave, not to hijack your thread, but I've been thinking about this subject over the past day. I was about to buy an Onkyo with no HDMI inputs because my TV has two HDMI inputs. I'm having second thoughts.

I'm a little confused about using HDMI through a receiver for video. Say I want to have HDMI audio from the DVD player to the receiver then that suggests to me I'd also have to use the receiver for video. Seems it would be better for video to go straight to the TV from any DVD player.

Is this where a switcher comes into play or is the switcher only used for receivers with not enough HDMI inputs?
Old 03-10-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is generally better to have video go direct, but many people have real reasons for using external switching. A receiver IS a switcher. The biggest reason for maybe running video through it is if you don't have enough inputs on your TV. One other reason is to save on remote button pressing. If video goes to the TV and audio to the receiver, then you have to press buttons on 2 remotes (or several buttons on one remote) to switch from one source to another. Whereas if the receiver does all switching, you have less of this. This is why I mentioned spending a little on a good macro remote. It removes all the button pressing so you don't care about which device does which switching.

An external HDMI switcher can be useful right now because so few receivers (or TVs) have any useful number of HDMI inputs. You really just need to add up all your current and near-future sources. Maybe cable TV, DVD, PS3, etc. Then see what your needs are for switching and purchase the right setup, whether that means a switcher or receiver or combination.
Old 03-10-07, 12:20 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I really wanted to get the Pioneer Elite 84txi($1500.00) because it sports four HDMI inputs but the LFE issue killed it for me.
What's the LFE issue on this? Is it also present on the 82TXS?
Old 03-10-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack, but is there a good off-brand receiver out there? Like the Oppo is to DVD players?

I used to think it was Outlaw, but their stuff has really gone up in the last couple of years.
Old 03-10-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9
Not to hijack, but is there a good off-brand receiver out there? Like the Oppo is to DVD players?

I used to think it was Outlaw, but their stuff has really gone up in the last couple of years.
Sherwood, Circuit city's "house" brand, gets surprisingly good reviews.
Old 03-10-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9

I've been looking and reading about the Marantz lately. I think I saw where Adcom had receivers, but sure they are pretty pricey. I also think that H/K (Harman Kardon) is on the fence between popular/mainstream and boutique.

Also, I don't think the Sherwood is a "house brand" of CC. This unit looks interesting. Saw it over at AVS:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...7-page-12.html

Course, you could skip the receiver all together and just get Classe or Krell seperates and be done with it!
Old 03-10-07, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John Galt
What's the LFE issue on this? Is it also present on the 82TXS?
The LFE issue (which is common to many brands) is described in the first post of this thread;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

It only affects material that has a .1 channel. So CDs aren't affected.
It also does not affect the typical Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 soundtracks passed as bitstream to the AVR for decoding. (or decoded in the player and passed as analog). So most people never encounter it.

It does affect .1 tracks in DVD-Audio , possibly SACD audio, and the two new HD formats, Dolby True HD and hi-rez DTS. So it will increasingly be noticed as more people buy HD players. That is why there's such a fuss about it here (early adopters abound on AVSforum).
this only applies to the .1 over HDMI from what I have read.

since I would be using this with an HD-DVD player as well as a PS3 for Blu-Ray it just wouldn't fly for me(I like my bass). there is a firmware fix for this but I really don't want to buy a brand new receiver, take it home, put it in another box, ship it to some authorized service center to have them do the upgrade then wait for them to ship it back just to get a new receiver right now.

over at AVS users have reported the same issue with the 82 as well.

hope this helps.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 03-10-07 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-10-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I'd call $900 too much for what the Outlaw offers. It competes with the $2000 Denon pretty handily except on inputs. They did make a huge mistake going with DVI in their last series. If they didn't like HDMI so much, they should've just put in more component video. They don't update products often enough to hang their rep on the obviously interim DVI.0
Old 03-11-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that outlaw has DVI? Stupid.

As for the Pio, the revision models are apparently making their way into stores, so you might be able to get one without having to take it back.
Old 03-16-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I like Sony's ES line of receivers. I had a Sony 30ES from '99 until this year and it never gave me any problems, even after a few moves. It just got outdated. I just picked up the Sony 5200 ES and love it so far-it had 1 HDMI input, 3 outputs, and does upconversion. From the spec sheet:

Up Conversion: Yes (HDMI Up Conversion from Component, S-Video and Composite to 1080p)

It also works with XM radio (a big plus for me, Yamaha receivers do as well) and the upconverting makes standard def cable and DVD's look good on a 56" DLP. I went through Crutchfield just to avoid and warranty hassles, but when I was shopping around, they had a bunch of retailers listing it a fair chunk under $1,000. You just have to be less risk-averse than I was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.