DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Questions about Comcast DVR.

Old 02-28-07, 08:22 PM

Questions about Comcast DVR.

I was just curious about this. My friend has comcast DVR and he showed me it a bit. But I was curious can you cut and crop your previously recorded stuff or are you stuck with a 3 hour full program with commercials if you record it completely? He said he just doesn't know because he didn't mess around enough yet.

Never mind my second question. It was about storing records on a computer. I fround that out myself.

Last edited by Teremei; 02-28-07 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You cannot crop recordings on any cable DVR that I know of. You can do that if you have a DVDR with hard drive and copy the recording over there.

Also, if you have any detailed questions, you better mention which model you would have. Comcast uses several across the country.
Old 02-28-07, 10:18 PM

Well you've answered my question so there's no need to get specific I guess. I hate that you can't crop it. I'd have to buy and set up a DVDrecorder if I wanted to do that. Thanks for your help!!
Old 03-01-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are only intended for short-term timeshifting. In fact, there have been lawsuits against Tivo and Replay for having means to skip over commercials during playback. Some industry "giants" want to disable fast forward, let alone commercial skip.

IOW, you will never see a DVR (except maybe in a PC) that will do what you want.