Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Goodbye Direct TV. .

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye Direct TV. .

Hope this fits here. Any hear me out guys.

About a couple of months ago I wanted to get my first DVR. So I call DTV and they say it's only $2 more a month and free installation.

Fast foward to recently. It's $100 install and $10 more a month (required programming upgrade). . When I told them I was upset they gave me showtime free for 6 months. That's fine. But when I get to the FINAL guys to set up the install. I corrected them that I wanted the HD DVR and they said it's $300 upfront and a 2 year commitment. I find it REDICULOUS that an offer can go from FREE to $300 up front cost, no matter HOW popular their DVR is getting.

So I switched to comcast. $35 initial HD DVR install and that's it. Not only that but it's cheaper than DTV. I just thought I'd share my story. It seems like now that the H20 is getting improved, they want to charge you an ear for it, even IF you are a good customer. I can't wait to call them and tell them I am canceling my service and I already have comcast on the way.
Old 02-28-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
This is why I won't go satellite. Equipment should be free with a monthly charge. It also shouldn't be a fortune to outfit your whole house. SD boxes should be free, as many as you need.

Cable sucks, but DTV sucks harder.
Old 02-28-07, 10:00 PM

Exactly. If you are locked in a 2 year contract, with penalties for cancelation. That should more than cover for the unit. $300 upfront + commitment. That is totally rediculous.

I'm looking forward to finally being able to try a DVR. + comcast on demand looks kinda neat. So I think I made the right choice. I get faster and cheaper internet upgrade too now, with them.
Old 02-28-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazing how CSRs can ruin a company's rep. Course, those new DirecTV DVRs are doing the same thing.
Old 02-28-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I had the opposite issue when I moved to this house three years ago. Alway been a cable guy, but Comcast literally did not show up without calling for five appointments. So I call dishnetwork. Love them! Now I don't have HD (I use OTA for HD), but very pleased with their service. Tho their compressed SD looks pretty crappy in my projector.

While I have been happy with Dish, been kind of thinking about that new Verizon service thing. Fiber Optics for something. Fios I think it is. Hearing good things about it. Anyone have any experience?
Old 02-28-07, 10:27 PM

I'd get dish network if I had a choice. However to get my cubbies in HD I needed to go either DTV or comcast. Both carry WGN-HD and comcastsportsnetHD. Dish Network carried neither. But I do like that right now, they have the most HD content. .

Yeah I guess that's how it is sometimes with any company. They won't cut you a deal until you tell them you're leaving. However I gave them 3 chances to give me a deal. And they didn't. So goodbye.
Old 02-28-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a shame because some dishes carry more HD channels, but the best bang for the buck without all the hassle is digital cable.
Old 02-28-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The house we are buying it "pre-wired" for DTV. We are getting Cox, which I hear is slightly better than Comcast (who I have no real complaints about). If DTV actually comes through on 150 HD channels (not bloody likely), then I'll consider switching.

Teremei, you have a good argument about the cancellation fee covering the cost of equipment for early cancellers. That's what's great about cable - you can cancel at any time. There's no reason DTV can't be the same way.
Old 03-01-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in a little quandry over DirecTV service as well. I still have one more year to go in a two year committment over replacing my broken DirecTivo last year (I like DTV and had no problems signing up for two years). Now that I have an HDTV I just don't really like their options. Which is signing up for two more years, $200 for the poorly reviewed DVR (talked a CSR into a lower DVR price, but I've seen some folks have gotten them for free by speaking with the retention dept.). Switch out the satellite for something bigger needing more holes in my roof, two more cables through the walls of my house (four total), higher monthly fees... eh, might just stick with OTA even though I would miss out on the recording functions for HD.

If more channels carried HD through DirecTV it would be more of a no-brainer (ESPN is not quite enough to get me to jump yet). I think I'll let my contract end in a year which will give me more options.
Old 03-01-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I know they keep saying this, but I think 2007 is finally the year DirecTV will greatly increase their number of national HD channels. Well before the time your contract is up, I should think they'll be available to you.
Old 03-01-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have been very happy with my Direct TV service for close to 10 years now. I will never do business with any cable company again, for any product.
Old 03-01-07, 09:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Doesn't Comcast give teaser rates in the beginning and then up the charges later?
Old 03-01-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think every cable company is doing that now. Dish even has as well.
Old 03-01-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I have been very happy with my Direct TV service for close to 10 years now. I will never do business with any cable company again, for any product.
Ditto.
Old 03-01-07, 11:19 AM

A couple of comments, having been a D* sub for about 10 years.

They are generally much easier to deal with than any cable company. I have moved several times in that period and the offers from the cable companies are generally no better than D*, other than the intro teaser rates. Service and support and picture quality were no better.

With D*, SD boxes are basically 'free', there is an additional charge per month, but based on the number of channels available and even with mirroring fees, D* is still pretty competitive, in fact where I live now, the top package on cable would cost about $20 more and is missing at least 8 channels that I watch more than once per week.

From what the original poster said (and from how he has written it) I can understand why D* may not have understood that he wanted an HD DVR. Naturally, we are not privy to his call to D*, but D*'s website is actually quite informative and easy to negotiate. I can understand where the OP may feel like it was bait and switch, but believe me, D* does not as a company endorse that practice.

The HR20 is still considered a 'next gen' product and hence the bigger sticker price. For the amount of utility I get from it and it being less than 1/2 the cost of a PS3, I find it a value, believe it or not. Sure, it would be great if the equipment was free, but then programming costs would be increased to cover them. People seem to forget that these companies are businesses. They have costs to cover and shareholders to make profits for.

I prefer a business model where advanced users have to pay advanced prices. This allows the family that can only afford $50/month to get a pretty good programming package with locals at a resonable price. ADditional rooms, should cost a little more. If they want a DVR, it makes sense that there is an additional charge. If they want HD, a little more. Of course, an HD DVR, should be even more than that. If it were all you can eat, there are many families that would be locked out, because starter pricing would have to be around $100/month to make D* a profit. (Which is why they are in business, they are not a charity.)

But then, this is what makes the choices we have available a great thing. Many folks are happy with rabbit ears and can live with 3-6 channels that they get OTA. If you want more, it's available, but at a price. You vote with your dollars. It's a great system.

PS; While I think a'la carte programming would be great, I prefer the package deals. In the end buying just the channels you want will probably cost as much, but with less programming. Then you have less chance of discovering something new, as well. You could take it to the ridiculous extreme that I only need to pay for one channel (maybe 2) because that's all I watch at a time, make it all demand and charge me $20/month .
Old 03-01-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Cable companies have improved miles in the last 10 years. Dealing with the locals was a real PITA. Thanks to competition from Dish and DTV, the nationals like Comcast have had to improve CS. And they have.

I won't pay the $600 DTV wants just to set up my house with their service and boxes. That's insane.
Old 03-01-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Thanks to competition from Dish and DTV, the nationals like Comcast have had to improve CS. And they have.
I definitely have to agree with you on that one. I've actually been quite impressed with Comcast's customer service the past couple of years.
Old 03-01-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cable companies have improved miles in the last 10 years. Dealing with the locals was a real PITA. Thanks to competition from Dish and DTV, the nationals like Comcast have had to improve CS. And they have.

I won't pay the $600 DTV wants just to set up my house with their service and boxes. That's insane.
Point well taken. The company in my area is Cox and based on what my neighbors and friends have told me, they have not improved at all. And the same pedestal in my front yard that is covered in water months out of the year is still there, in the same poor condition.

No thanks.
Old 03-01-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, I can't agree with this. Not in Mpls/St. Paul. After dealing somewhat with my parents' cable, and at work with many setups, I will be staying with satellite. I came close to switching off DirecTV recently (to Dish), but NFL ST keeps me around. And Comcast locally is ridiculously priced.
Old 03-01-07, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Teremei
But when I get to the FINAL guys to set up the install. I corrected them that I wanted the HD DVR and they said it's $300 upfront and a 2 year commitment. I find it REDICULOUS that an offer can go from FREE to $300 up front cost, no matter HOW popular their DVR is getting.
I bet you were quoted for the SD DVR - there's no way they would have quoted you free for the HD.
Old 03-01-07, 07:30 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Spiky
Unfortunately, I can't agree with this. Not in Mpls/St. Paul.
Have to agree. Here in the DC area Comcasts customer service is absolutely fucking terrible.

They've messed up our bill countless times, so much that I won't order any payview sports events or packages in more.

The price sucks balls too, even with calling and bitching to get it knocked down every year when the promo runs out its still a good deal more than my direct TV and DSL ran before I moved (and would run here if I could have satellite and if the DSL didn't suck in this condo building/area).
Old 03-01-07, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shelland
I bet you were quoted for the SD DVR - there's no way they would have quoted you free for the HD.
Possibly. Even though I have read forums where people have gotten it for $100, or even free in some cases. (yes the H20). With Comcast I am getting an HD DVR for only $35 initial install. And that's it. I have been a customer with their high speed internet, and they had to come out to do a tech visit and didn't even charge. So they have been good to me so far. That's why I decided to switch back, for now.

There is no long term contract so I have the freedom to switch to something else at some point.
Old 03-01-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most who got it free were/are HD Tivo owners. We were supposed to be "taken care of" when we have to change to the MPEG4 receivers, and free sounds about right considering we already own a device that originated at $1000.

But if Comcast is working out, don't sweat it.
Old 03-02-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I called to see about switching over... I would do it, but for 3 HDDVR boxes it would cost me $800 upfront and they said It would be a "lease."

Additional HD boxes would cost me $99 or standard DVR boxes would be $99

I have 4 HDTVs in the house

I love DTV, but the upfront "lease" costs are holding be back.
Old 03-02-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think most who got it free were/are HD Tivo owners. We were supposed to be "taken care of" when we have to change to the MPEG4 receivers, and free sounds about right considering we already own a device that originated at $1000.
I got in on the free HD-Tivo. Before long, I'll call in to see what kind of deal I can get to upgrade to the new receiver. I have the non-HD version, and do not like the new interface at all. But, it sucks not to be able to get FSN in HD when available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.