DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question: Tivo and HD programming

Old 02-22-07, 03:25 PM

Question: Tivo and HD programming

I currently have a Series 2 DT Tivo and standard cable TV. My television is a Sony 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD Rear Projection HDTV, model KDS-50A2000.

When I watch the TV I am able to receive what I'm assuming are the over-ther-air HD broadcasts, e.g. Fox channel 2.1. When I watch TV through the Tivo I do not receive these channels.

I have standard cable TV, and do not plan on upgrading to digital cable. Is there a way to set up my current Tivo to receive and watch through the Tivo, and ultimately record, these over-the-air HD broadcasts?

If I were to upgrade to the HD Series 3 Tivo, and keep standard cable TV, would I be able to receive and watch through the Tivo, and ultimately record, these over-the-air HD broadcasts?
Old 02-22-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe the series 3 ($799) has inputs for cable card and antenna. YOu then would be able to record OTA HD broadcasts. You would possibly get some local HD channels, but would likely need to upgrade your package for a greater selection.

Your series 2 is not capable of recording HD.
Old 02-22-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a Tivo S3 and think it's fantastic. I can record two HD OTA at the same time or two cable channels at the same time or one of each. The DT ability of the S3 is leaps and bounds better and more capable than the S2.

Also, the S3 has a channel scan that finds all incoming signals OTA and through cable. I only have basic cable but the S3 found about 40 hidden channels available to me. While I don't get program information for some of them, it's easy to just switch over to some of the random premium channels I get to see if anything good is on. Most of my watching though is now through OTA, however.

Even though I hadn't normally planned on getting the S3 this soon in the game, my last Tivo broke under my extended warranty. And I was allowed an exchange/upgrade to the S3. I have no regrets whatsoever about the decision.

Now I just have to get a HDTV to make it even better.
Old 02-22-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

S3 is $650 next month at Costco.