DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Philips DVD Player with HDMI?

Old 02-16-07, 03:42 AM

Philips DVD Player with HDMI?

With mid-level DVD Players with HDMI around from brands like Sony (NS76), Pioneer 696. Toshiba 360, Samsung 860etc. why I haven't heard any talks about the performance of Philips HDMI player at the same level? Anyone here has this model? I think it's 5965 or something... Is it good?
Old 02-16-07, 07:29 AM

I have the 5960/37 model and I'm using it with a Samsung 32" LCD TV via HDMI. So far, I really like what I'm seeing and have no major issue with the player. I haven't used any of those you mentionned but I previously had a 4 year-old Zenith progressive scan dvd player of good quality and I like the Philips much more. Maybe you can find more information on this thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467930.
Old 02-21-07, 11:49 PM

I picked up the 5960 a couple of weeks ago, and about a week ago, I picked up a Samsung 50" HLS5087W. I was excited to try the upconversion (my previous TV didn't have HDMI) but was shocked at how crappy it looked!

I'm sure it must be something I'm doing wrong. I've read people claim that their results with upconverting players have given them results similar to their HD-DVD players. I have a HD-DVD player, and the results are nowhere near similar. The 5960 is pixelated, muddy, it almost looks like VHS! HD-DVD's look great. What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-22-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, that sounds like every Philips player I've ever witnessed. Don't see what adding HDMI would change.
Old 02-23-07, 06:46 PM

The player wouldn't upconvert without HDMI.
Old 02-24-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. But you asked about picture quality, not feature lists.