Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

In-Laws want a new TV....What to suggest?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my In-Laws 4 year old Sony tube TV bit the dust (frankly I was shocked that it only lasted 4 years). They are interested in replacing with a LCD or Plasma set. They only have 39" of width to work with. They watch sports on the set as well as other shows (I mention sports because I know the reaction time on a LCD set is crucial with Sports.) So, what are a couple of recommendation of both LCD and Plasma sets that would be good for them. They do get some HDTV from Comcast so they will be watching HD on the set.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

42" panasonic plasma
Old 02-05-07, 12:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
42" panasonic plasma

According to the Panasonic website, the 42" plasma is a little over 40" wide. So, it may not fit in his space. I believe that several of the other 42" sets, like the Samsung and Westinghouse, would also be more than 40" wide. The 40" sets, like the Samsung LN-S4096D and LN-S4051D or the Sony KDL-40XBR2 and KDL-40S2010, probably would fit though.
Old 02-05-07, 03:20 PM

Looks like there are a few Samsung and Sony 40" LCD screens that would fit. They might shy away from Sony given the experience with their tube. Anyone have experience with the Samsung LCDs?
Old 02-05-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it's a good idea to base a tv set on the size it has to fit in. I've been disappointed with Samsung's LCDs (although maybe they weren't set up correctly). I'm a big fan of Panasonic's plasmas.
Old 02-06-07, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I don't think it's a good idea to base a tv set on the size it has to fit in. I've been disappointed with Samsung's LCDs (although maybe they weren't set up correctly). I'm a big fan of Panasonic's plasmas.
I am in total agreement on this point. However, the cabinet was made by my Father-in-law and suggesting not to use it is not an option.

I appreciate your input on Samsung, though.
Old 02-06-07, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by steak-too
I am in total agreement on this point. However, the cabinet was made by my Father-in-law and suggesting not to use it is not an option.
Try the 37" Panasonic plasma, which will have enough room around it to not look stuffed into the cabinet.

Or the Sony 40" XBR LCD might fit, I'm not sure how wide it is exactly.