DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV and ABC audio: Where is the problem?

Old 01-30-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DirecTV and ABC audio: Where is the problem?

Here's the facts:

I have DirecTV on three TVs
I live in the SW burbs of Chicago

Whenever I watch television - with audio run through my receiver - 99.9% of the channels sound like they should. Dialogue in the center, directional pans left and right, etc.

However, for the last few months, ABC (Ch 7 in Chicago) audio sounds like it is being pushed into the left front channel, with a little bleed into the center and virtually nothing on the right side. The result is an unbalanced mix, so instead of dialogue coming out of the center it's coming out of the left front speaker. This also happens if I watch ABC on another set in the house, using a different HT receiver.

It used to work fine for ABC up until a couple of months ago

This all leads me to believe it's not the receiver (why is it weird on just one channel?) and is an issue with either DirecTV or ABC. Except I can't believe I'm the only one this is happening to, and other complaints haven't addressed the problem.

I've sent emails to both DirecTV and ABC-Chicago with no responses, and I've prowled a number of other boards looking for similar complaints but can't find any.

Ideas? Who's at fault here? It's making me freakin' nuts....

thx

Last edited by Pointyskull; 01-30-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-30-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problems with my ABC feed. The last time I had a problem like this it was with FOX and it was with the local affiliate.

You could try posting here to see if anyone else has issues

http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php
Old 01-30-07, 01:47 PM

It's probably your local affiliate. For example, I don't have problems with my ABC feed, but have had difficulties with other local channels.
Old 01-30-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ABC has this problem every now and then. It is usually the local affiliate's link to the cable/sat providers. It is really weird.