Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD 16x9 playback

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD 16x9 playback

I have been editing in Avid in 16x9 aspect ratio. Recently i played one of the dvd's back from my sony dvd player onto my sony 42 wide screen grand wega. With the wega in NORMAL screen mode, the image was squished into 4x3 with black bars left on the sides of the screen. The dvd player is setup in 16x9 mode. The only way i could get it into widescreen was to stretch the image on my monitor. Shouldn't the dvd play back in full screen mode on the normal setting.

thanx
Old 01-17-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
If both player and tv are Sony the tv should automatically switch to FULL mode, which plays 16x9 normally, if a disc is 16x9. On my Sony set it's not possible to display 16x9 with sidebars if the player is set to 16x9. Play the disc on the computer to see it's 16x9 there.
Old 01-17-07, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When viewing on my computer monitor, it is letter box wide with black at the top and bottom.

My DVD player has 3 options for tv screen size: 4x3, 4x3 pan and scan and 16x9. It also has a choice between FULL and NORMAL.
I'm not sure which to use.