Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CableCard LCD TV choices

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CableCard LCD TV choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CableCard LCD TV choices

At some not-too-far-off point, I'm going to get a 32" LCD TV for my bedroom. From what I've read and heard, I assume that if I get a TV with a CableCard slot, I will be able to get all of the HD channels that I'm currently receiving via the cable box in my living room. Correct?

Also, I'll need to have the cable company configure and install the CableCard. Correct?

OK, now that that's out of the way, I've found a few models here and there with a CableCard slot. If someone has a definitive list of CableCard-having makes and models, that'd be great. (Or even a big online store where you can sort by feature and CableCard is among those features.)

If someone can recommend one or two models in particular -- also great. If someone can find a hot deal on one -- even better. Brand-wise, I would probably like to stick with Sharp, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony, in that order. I haven't found any second-tier makes (Westinghouse, Olevia, etc.) that are CableCard compatible, but it would take a lot of convincing and/or a great warranty to make me consider something other than the above brands.

Anyone use a CableCard that can comment on how well it works? I'm guessing that the TV itself has a lot to do with it -- switching channels, etc. Any other thoughts?

I am aware that the current CableCard technology only allows one-way communication, and I'm OK with not being able to do PPV.
Old 01-10-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The current LG 32" or 37" has a cable card slot and I would say rivales any of the top tier you listed and better than the Panasonic, Toshiba and newer Sharps. Also better than the Sony 2000 line but maybe a step below the xbr.

I did a lot of research and comparing, etc and the LG just flat out performed better. I only bought a 26" for the kitchen but needed a cable card slot. I almost didnt want to buy the LG but I was led there after weeks of comparing and reading very good reviews.

you can get the lg 37" right now for around $1100 at circuit city with a geico coupon/link and that is the best deal i have seen for this tv. Search over at fatwallet. I paid $900 for the 26" 6 months ago.

Of course it has a great HD picture, but it also shines in SDTV. The XD engine does wonders for that tv. Its a great product.
Old 01-10-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info. The only experience I've had with any LG TV was with a 27" CRT SD set in a hotel for a couple weeks last year. Great picture, but the lag in getting the set to do anything when I pressed the button was unreal. Can I assume that this is not a problem with your set?

I think 37" is too big for my bedroom. Maybe for the office...

The only 32" LG LCD I'm seeing at Circuit City is the 32LC2DU. The description doesn't mention a CableCard slot. And I just downloaded the manual from the LG site -- not mentioned there either.
Old 01-10-07, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by stevevt
Thanks for the info. The only experience I've had with any LG TV was with a 27" CRT SD set in a hotel for a couple weeks last year. Great picture, but the lag in getting the set to do anything when I pressed the button was unreal. Can I assume that this is not a problem with your set?

I think 37" is too big for my bedroom. Maybe for the office...

The only 32" LG LCD I'm seeing at Circuit City is the 32LC2DU. The description doesn't mention a CableCard slot. And I just downloaded the manual from the LG site -- not mentioned there either.

hmm. i really thought this was standard in that line. mine has it and its only a 26".

i do know most manufacturers are taking CC slots out to save in manufacturing costs since so fw people use them. you may want to move quicker then planned.

sony only puts cable cards in the xbr line and they are mucho dinero.
Old 01-10-07, 11:22 AM

here is the model I was speaking of. I guess they recently replced it as I could not find it anywhere. 6tj ave is a NJ dealer that I have always had success with. The price they are charging is way too high but if you call or go in (if you are local) they would work with it. Especially if you tell them it is discontinued.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=32LX1D
Old 01-10-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the more I read about the XD engine, the more I want to check out the LG TV. Too bad they took out the CC slot on the new 32", or else it would seem to be a winner.

Thanks again for all the info. I might have to look into the 32LX1D, but it's a little ahead of my timeline right now.

EDIT: I just called, and the best price they can give me is $1349. So, no dice there.

Last edited by stevevt; 01-10-07 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 03:44 PM

Well, the more I read about the XD engine, the more I want to check out the LG TV. Too bad they took out the CC slot on the new 32", or else it would seem to be a winner.

Thanks again for all the info. I might have to look into the 32LX1D, but it's a little ahead of my timeline right now.

EDIT: I just called, and the best price they can give me is $1349. So, no dice there.

i actually just (20 minutes ago) bought a 26" Sony from Outpost/Frys for $799. I am going to keep the LG in the bedroom and put the Sony in the kitchen instead. When I bought my tv this Sony was $1700. It has a cable card slot.

I know you want a 32 but the Sony at that price with a cable card is a great price. i am fairly close to the tv in the bedroom so a 26 was fine for me.

I sort of blame you for this purchase as this thread got the ball rolling on making sure i got a tv with a cable card.
Old 01-10-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I sort of blame you for this purchase as this thread got the ball rolling on making sure i got a tv with a cable card.
In turn, I blame you for the fact that My Ebay now lists the only two 32LX1Ds that are currently up, and they both end in around 4 hours. Further, I blame you for the fact that I'm going to be bidding before they close.

By the way, I poked around AVS looking for CableCard info. Found this thread with a partial list of CC-compatible sets:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=746594

Sharp LC26ED6U
Sharp LC45GX6U
Sharp LC32D4U
Sharp LC-26D4U
Toshiba 32HL95
Toshiba 37HL95
Toshiba 32HLX95
Toshiba 42HL196
Toshiba 42LX196
Toshiba 47LX196
Phillips 32PF7320A
Samsung LN-R408D
Old 01-10-07, 03:57 PM

In turn, I blame you for the fact that My Ebay now lists the only two 32LX1Ds that are currently up, and they both end in around 4 hours. Further, I blame you for the fact that I'm going to be bidding before they close.

By the way, I poked around AVS looking for CableCard info. Found this thread with a partial list of CC-compatible sets:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=746594

i have those 2 on my watch list from this morning. i was curious as to what they would end up going for. i didnt suggest it because i didnt think you would want to make a purchase that size on eBay. i wish you luck.

they will not end up going for $535. Anything under 900 and you got a great deal.
Old 01-10-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$900, including the shipping, will probably be my max bid. This assumes I can get myself to bid that much for something on eBay. Definitely kind of scary.
Old 01-10-07, 04:10 PM

$900, including the shipping, will probably be my max bid. This assumes I can get myself to bid that much for something on eBay. Definitely kind of scary.

but a great price if it works.
Old 01-10-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True enough. Another update: I just emailed this guy to see if his 37" LG is still available:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/257810284.html

It has a CableCard slot, per my research. A bit bigger than I could reasonably want, but for $800, this is clearly no time to be reasonable.
Old 01-10-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Did you look at this one? I couldn't find any search function for CableCard, but this one does have a QAM tuner...(?)

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=31113
Old 01-10-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superman07
Did you look at this one? I couldn't find any search function for CableCard, but this one does have a QAM tuner...(?)

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=31113

Thanks for the help, but it definitely doesn't have a CableCard slot. QAM tuner and CableCards are completely separate things, even though both have to do with viewing cable television.
Old 01-10-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I know they are different. I just thought it might be a compromise.
Old 01-10-07, 07:20 PM

Steve I got a Sharp LC32D4U last year from Sears on closeout just so I can have it on the wall in my bedroom, get HD, and not have a box and love it. Hope you can find one, now I am trying to pick a replacement TV from Sears for my 47" Panny RPTV, but can't make up my mind.
Old 01-10-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

but a great price if it works.
As you'll soon see, I won the first one for $706. Shipping = $40. Pretty exciting stuff right there.

I kept my eye on the second one after I won the first. It was still under $600 with a minute left -- making me feel like I somehow overpayed -- but then went to $711. This somehow makes everything OK.

In the middle of all this research, eBaying, and posting, I actually went to my local RadioShack and checked out the 32" and 37" LGs. Got to compare them to a Panasonic, and a few cheaper brands. Definitely liked what I saw. As we've concluded, it's too bad the current 32" no longer has the CableCard slot. That's life, I guess.

Thanks again.

Last edited by stevevt; 01-10-07 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-10-07, 10:46 PM

i was actually thinking about bidding but was in the middle of playing poker and got lazy. i knew you got it by your username. i was going to get one and cancel my sony. i paid $800 for the sony and its only a 26".
Old 01-11-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So how much off MSRP+tax is $750?

New unit or used?

Pics when you get her!
Old 01-11-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Different sites had the MSRP between $1300 and $1500. There was probably a price drop when the newer model came out, and some people never got the memo. 6ave, for example. Keep in mind that the newer model (32LC2DU) can be had for $800ish from Circuit City right now. If you don't need a CableCard slot, it's probably the way to go.

The unit I'm getting is new in the box. Never opened.
Old 01-15-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bump for a quick question:

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not it would be worth it for me to get an upconverting dvd player for this tv? In other words, how much better would a dvd player be at upconverting than this tv would be?

The other issue is that I have a BestBuy gift card that I "need" to use, so I'm kind of limited to their selection. Any opinions either way?
Old 01-15-07, 09:26 AM

Bump for a quick question:

Does anyone have any opinions on whether or not it would be worth it for me to get an upconverting dvd player for this tv? In other words, how much better would a dvd player be at upconverting than this tv would be?

The other issue is that I have a BestBuy gift card that I "need" to use, so I'm kind of limited to their selection. Any opinions either way?

Steve,
I bought a Sony upconverting DVD player brom best buy to pair with my 26" version of this TV. Does a really good job of upconverting and price is around $120.

There is defiantely a difference in PQ with the Sony although not a huge difference.

For the price it was a good choice for me.

I dont know if the coupons for Best Buy are still active but there wa a 10%/12% coupon for reward zone members this past weekend.

116.99 Here

Joe
Old 01-15-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve,
I bought a Sony upconverting DVD player brom best buy to pair with my 26" version of this TV. Does a really good job of upconverting and price is around $120.

There is defiantely a difference in PQ with the Sony although not a huge difference.

For the price it was a good choice for me.

I dont know if the coupons for Best Buy are still active but there wa a 10%/12% coupon for reward zone members this past weekend.

116.99 Here

Joe
Joe,

Thanks for all this great info!

I'm aware of the BB coupon. Expires today, in fact.

I'll have to research that Sony player. I guess PQ is more important to me than the stuff it will obviously lack -- DivX/XVid/hackability. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a Sony product. It's possible that it was a 20" TV in 1993. I seem to recall that it cost around $350.
Old 01-15-07, 09:46 AM

Joe,

Thanks for all this great info!

I'm aware of the BB coupon. Expires today, in fact.

I'll have to research that Sony player. I guess PQ is more important to me than the stuff it will obviously lack -- DivX/XVid/hackability. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a Sony product. It's possible that it was a 20" TV in 1993. I seem to recall that it cost around $350.

There are very few Sony products I would buy. They either do things well or very very badly. I avoid them as much as I can because of all their proprietary crap they force on you.

I was going to buy an Oppo player but didnt need to spend $200 for Divx, region free, etc. I had just bought the LG and wanted an upconverting playerer that day.

I also NEEDED a DVD player since my old one (pioneer 525a, c.1999, not even progressive) was begging to be replaced (or maybe I heard something I wanted to hear).

The Sony did fairly well in my research. The LG did ok too but people were having some issues if I remember correctly. I had researched it over on AVS.
Old 01-19-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Updates:

* I bought the Sony upconverting dvd player.

* The TV was delivered yesterday. I hooked it up to cable and an antenna. Without poking around, I only managed to grab a few local HD channels. No surprise there. The QAM tuner works well, but our local cable service is so bad that it only gives me 2 (!) digital channels -- PBS and CBS. When are the rest of the networks coming? Who knows! Hooray! (This info was not news to me, of course, since I can experience the same degree of frustration when I use the HD box on the tv in my living room.)

* I ordered an HDMI cable for the dvd player, but it's taking its time getting here. I might use component cables to hook up the player for the time being, but that wouldn't be too much fun.

* I just called Comcast and arranged for them to come out next week and install a CableCard. Installation: $30. Monthly: $0. Also, the sales person mentioned that my prices were grandfathered in from Adelphia, and that Comcast doesn't haven't bundled pricing. The implication was that making a change to my account would entail "unbundling" my services and switching over to "real" Comcast pricing. The whole conversation made me feel like I was about to get hit with some crazy sticker shock. Well, no. I'm actually going to be saving $3 when I switch to the Comcast pricing. So apparently, Comcast is screwing all or most of its Adelphia bundled customers by not telling them they could be saving money by unbundling. Typical Comcast, I guess.

* Thanks again for all the help. The TV looks great. All the menus are intuitive, but I'll be relearning some stuff once I have the CableCard in place, and figuring more stuff out once I have the dvd player hooked up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.