Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The Digital Front Projection Competition is FIERCE

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Optoma HD73:

1280x720p DLP
1300 Lumens
DarkChip3
Brilliant Color technology
True Vivid technology
Faroudja DCDi processor
Image AI
4500:1 Contrast without Image AI (6000:1 with Image AI)

$1999

http://www.optomausa.com/PressReleas...sp?Press_id=43

It seems that Optoma wants to dominate the front projection market with these high end budget projectors. First a $999 720p DLP and now a $1999 720p DLP with DarkChip3.
Old 09-18-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure the DC3 is worth double the cost at this point in history. Great prices, though.
Old 09-18-06, 06:05 PM
Suspended

If I get one I'll probably end up waiting until one hits $1500 or less. Heck, I might wait untit it hits $999. However, whether it's worth double depends on the person. It's definitely a much better projector and on the bright side there is nowhere to from hear but down.

This time next year I expect some 1080p LCDs to hit the $2000-$2,500 mark. Maybe a 1080p LCOS Sony Pearl replacement for $3,000-$4,000. Not sure about 1080p DLP. I expect a DarkChip3 720p DLP to hit $1,500 MRSP by next year (who knows, maybe even $999. ) and a 720p DLP for $699-$899 MRSP. I think 480p DLP may go the way of the dinosaur after reaching all time low prices ($300-$500).
Old 09-18-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's pretty much my analysis, too. A couple of the announced 1080s are DLP, they are just under the Pearl or equal. So they will have to stay there as prices drop.
Old 09-19-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone put anymore thought into pulling the plug on the HD70? It's tempting the hell out of me at it's price and I don't even really need a new 720p projector. I'm excited at the 1080p units coming but I have made a choice to not spend 5K on one. It seems like yesterday that the only 1080p FP solutions were 25K. Projection technology prices are falling like a rock.
Old 09-20-06, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Anyone put anymore thought into pulling the plug on the HD70? It's tempting the hell out of me at it's price and I don't even really need a new 720p projector. I'm excited at the 1080p units coming but I have made a choice to not spend 5K on one. It seems like yesterday that the only 1080p FP solutions were 25K. Projection technology prices are falling like a rock.

I'm seriously considering it, because I want to go really large, but I keep talking myself out of it, because I'm used to CRT projection and I'm afraid I'll end up wishing for CRT blacks.

If I do get it I am planning to go 13' wide at 16:9 an use a slide in place horizontal expansion anamorphic lens to have a 17.16' wide 2.35:1 image at the same height. However, I'm also considering stacking or blending two CRTs at 12-15' wide.

It's is amazing what is going on with the prices of these digital though. The Sony Qualia was $25,000 and then out of nowhere Sony released a far better replacement (Sony Ruby) for $10,000 (which can now be had for about $6,000, I believe)). I feel bad for those who bought a Sony Qualia, especially the ones who bought one close to the time the Ruby was released. Now the Pearl is $5,000 MSRP.

It's definitely not a good idea to drop $5k on a 1080p unit. This HD70 is the PERFECT upgrade machine. You buy it, keep it for a year or two and then dump it for small loss and get a much better unit for a similar price or not much more. Within two years I'm sure there will be 720p DarkChip 3 units for $999 and 1080p D6 LCD for $1,499. 1080p DLP for $1999-$2,500 (ditto for LCOS).

Those who already have a non 720p projector can sell it and use it to fund this cheap 720p projector, which is great. I still have a 4805 and I will be selling it, possibly to fund the the HD70 (unless I can find a better deal on an 8" EM Focus CRT).

BTW, according to Guitarman on AVSForum Projector Central was way off with the brightness. The the thing is home theater light canon.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 09-20-06 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why do you want to go so large with a DLP? Unless your room is 30' long, you are going to start seeing SDE, or at least blurriness that can't be tweaked out.
Old 09-21-06, 05:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why do you want to go so large with a DLP? Unless your room is 30' long, you are going to start seeing SDE, or at least blurriness that can't be tweaked out.
Because I want a REAL Home Theater. 8' wide is too small for me now, despite how wonderful it looks. I want as close to cinema size as possible. I want the image to be taller than me at 2.35:1.

So, my reasons for the large size are:

1: Closer to the size of my cinema.
2: Much better blacks.
3: More Immersive and cinema like
4: Less digital looking (if using a DLP)

You'd be surprised what FFDShow can do with the sharpness of high quality DVDs. It can bring some to near HD quality.

I've already tested my 4805 at 13' wide and I liked it more than I did at 80" wide on my 8' wide torus. It looked far less digital and much more film like. Strangely enough the SDE didn't bother me as much as I though it would and I was only 15' away (as far as I can get). I usually see SDE from 16' away on an 80" wide image when using my Torus (though I can ignore it with moving images). I did feel I wanted more pixels though for this size, but it showed me the potential of 720p.

Maybe it's the lower brightness combined with the slight texture of the wall that make the grid less bothersome than expected. I can obviously see the pixels if if I choose to, but my eyes are too busy following the movement of large image to focus on and notice a small stationary pixel grid for very long, especially on a 1280x720p unit. It's most noticeable when I bring up the menu or on a bright scene with little movement with the camera or actors. So, I think I'll be fine with 720p. My brain apparently has the ability to compensate for SDE on my slightly textured wall. So, I can see the pixels on my 480p unit fine, but I can not focus on them pretty easy, therefor 720p will not bother me.

BTW, they make an IMX lens to get rid of SDE and it's only about $300. My brain seems to have the ability to compensate for SDE with moving video so I'm not sure I'll need it. If I focus on it I can see it easily, but if watch the image it only enters my mind that I am seeing SDE occassionally, mostly in bright still scenes or if I bring up the menu. A slight defocus can also greatly diminish SDE while having only a very subtle effect smoothing effect on a video/film image.

A good source on a 720p projector will have no problem with blurriness though when using with FFDShow with a high quality DVD (or especially when watching high quality HD). Spiderman and Pitch Black looked surprisingly good with just S-Video. I lowered the size back to about 90" and I didn't like it as much. It regained it's super digital look at that size and it annoyed me.

If SDE does bother me with 2.33:1 at 17.16' wide I'll get an IMX lens. I already know that 13' wide with 720p won't bother me though.

Here's my 4805 at 13-14' wide.

Shaded Ambient light shot (readable evironment, despite how dark the room appears)

Talk about IMMERSIVE.

The two images above were just using S-Video though since my PC wouldn't reach. So, it had no FFDShow processing.

I may just stack or blend two CRTs though (wouldn't have to worry about any digital shortcomings then). My main problem is black levels. I'm not sure how long I can live with them.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 09-21-06 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds too wide for me. 100" diag @ 12' viewing is about all I want. Don't like turning my head to see the show. I sat at a comparable distance/angle in commercial theaters, too. Not that I ever go there, anymore.

But I still think you'd be happier pulling a double-wide CRT for PQ. SDE, IMX, etc. = blur. FFDShow doesn't help the physical characteristics of the PJ. Besides, think of all the tweaking you'd get to do!

*ahem* That should have read: "all the tweaking you'd HAVE to do!"
Old 09-22-06, 10:02 AM
Suspended

But I still think you'd be happier pulling a double-wide CRT for PQ.
For me it will be tough to pull the trigger on this unit becaue I cannot stop being tempted by CRT deals.

There is a freakin NEC XG-75 on Ebay now for $499 and an NEC 6PG (which I own) for $399. Curt usually has the 6PGs for $1100-$1500 and the XGs for $2100-$2800.

Of course Curt is more reliable to buy from and he has a 7" EM Focus Ampro for $700. Total wish shipping would be about the same price as the HD70. Ugh! It's hard to buy the HD70 knowing I can get inky black and 20,000-30,000:1 on/off contrast with NO expensive lamps that could blow early for the same price or less.

Very frustrating. If only I had never seen CRT.

It looks like my big image may come with two CRTs. Not sure yet. I'm thinking maybe if I threw the HD70 on a large enough screen and added two or three times the amount of back lighting that I use with my CRT that maybe the blacks would then maybe my brain would be fooled into thinking the blacks look close to CRT black.
Old 09-22-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's good solid reasoning. "maybe....fooled....close to CRT".

You could just sit closer.
Old 09-22-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds too wide for me. 100" diag @ 12' viewing is about all I want. Don't like turning my head to see the show. I sat at a comparable distance/angle in commercial theaters, too. Not that I ever go there, anymore.
I am at 13 feet back with 122" 16:9 and that seems absolutely perfect.