DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DishNetwork billing question

Old 08-21-06, 09:20 PM

DishNetwork billing question

Hey guys.

I am thinking about getting DishNetwork and had a quick question that they cannot seem to answer. For those that have DishNetwork, are there taxes or "other" fees added to the monthly bill? I use to have DishNetwork and DirecTV and, at the time, neither had extra fees. That is, if my package was $29.99, my monthly bill was $29.99. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? I live in Southern California ... that may play a role.

Thanks for any information you can share.
Old 08-21-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think when we had Dish, we did have to pay taxes. It would depend on your state/city/locality, I would think, if they've levied taxes on satellite entertainment. If there is a powerful cable company there, then they've probably lobbied the government to levy taxes.
If you gave Dish your zip code, I would think they could run a sample bill--or pull up someone's account who lives in that zip code--and let you know roughly what your taxes would be; though you may need to get an 'advanced' CSR to do that.
Old 08-21-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would give you the answer, but I am afraid you would interpret it as Dish Network bashing and delete the thread
Old 08-21-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where I live, no taxes or fees. But yeah, it'll depend on where you live.
Old 08-23-06, 12:24 PM

No taxes in Maryland either - I think satellite taxes only apply in four states at the moment. I know Dish is always saying on communications with me to fight the satellite tax if you live in __, __, __, or __. I think CT might be one of them.
Old 08-27-06, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys. I found a site that listed all the states with Dish Tax. California had it for one year and was removed. So, as of now, no tax.

Hey BobDole42 - I assume you do not like DishNetwork? I have had both before and definately preferred DirecTv. But I am on a budget and DishNetwork has one hellofa deal at $19.99 per month for AT60 for 10 months. And I REALLY want to see my football!
Old 08-27-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Thanks guys. I found a site that listed all the states with Dish Tax. California had it for one year and was removed. So, as of now, no tax.

Hey BobDole42 - I assume you do not like DishNetwork? I have had both before and definately preferred DirecTv. But I am on a budget and DishNetwork has one hellofa deal at $19.99 per month for AT60 for 10 months. And I REALLY want to see my football!
DishNetwork seems great. I was just making a lame joke about the thread you deleted when people started bashing Bose $20 a month sounds like a hell of a deal!
Old 08-27-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In Texas we have some taxes and fees but pretty much the same ones as cable. So if you were debating between the two, the taxes and fees are a wash.

BTW, we LOVE Dishnetwork. I had always been a cable guy (digitial), but Comcast broke six appointments with out calling (not kidding) so when I set the last appointment with them, I also set with with Dishnetwork. Dish showed up on a 4th of July and installed everything perfect and I love it. Would never go back.

Funny part, Cable guy called to say he was running (this was july 5th as they would not work on the 4th). I just said "whatever". He then called several hours later to to say he not make it all and that I would need to call back to set another appointment. I thanked him for calling (this time). I never called comcast back, about a month later they call me telling me they have an "open ticket", I tell them fine. When they ask if I want to set an appointment, I say "whatever". They ask if I have service with someone else, I say "that it is not their business" and they actually start getting upset with me, so I just hung up. Now three years later every now and then I get a call from them about my "open ticket", I just tell them to do whatever they want to do. You think they would have gotten the hint when within 6 months or so I dropped cable HSI to go DSL.
Old 08-31-06, 05:12 PM
Cool New Member

Dish Network does have some fees, but it depends on your setup.

If you don't have your receiver hooked up to a phone line, you can get a $5 fee tacked onto your bill.

If you have a DVR (except for a few very old purchased DVR's) you will also get a DVR fee, I believe it is $6 a month.

If you have additional receivers above the first one, you generally get a per receiver fee.

All of the fees are waived if you have their Platinum pack (the top tier) but then again that is very expensive.

I have Dish though, and I LOVE it. I have a VIP622 HD DVR with three in built tuners (2 satellite, one OTA) and it is incredible, and works really well. I have Dish's Silver HD pack, and it has more HD channels than any other provider can offer today.

It is a good deal.