DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DishNetwork billing question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/475189-dishnetwork-billing-question.html)

Bose Pro 08-21-06 08:20 PM

DishNetwork billing question

Hey guys.

I am thinking about getting DishNetwork and had a quick question that they cannot seem to answer. For those that have DishNetwork, are there taxes or "other" fees added to the monthly bill? I use to have DishNetwork and DirecTV and, at the time, neither had extra fees. That is, if my package was $29.99, my monthly bill was $29.99. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? I live in Southern California ... that may play a role.

Thanks for any information you can share.

tonyc3742 08-21-06 08:31 PM

I think when we had Dish, we did have to pay taxes. It would depend on your state/city/locality, I would think, if they've levied taxes on satellite entertainment. If there is a powerful cable company there, then they've probably lobbied the government to levy taxes.
If you gave Dish your zip code, I would think they could run a sample bill--or pull up someone's account who lives in that zip code--and let you know roughly what your taxes would be; though you may need to get an 'advanced' CSR to do that.

BobDole42 08-21-06 09:15 PM

I would give you the answer, but I am afraid you would interpret it as Dish Network bashing and delete the thread ;)

Mr. Salty 08-21-06 10:20 PM

Where I live, no taxes or fees. But yeah, it'll depend on where you live.

Wallet Boy 08-23-06 11:24 AM

No taxes in Maryland either - I think satellite taxes only apply in four states at the moment. I know Dish is always saying on communications with me to fight the satellite tax if you live in __, __, __, or __. I think CT might be one of them.

Bose Pro 08-27-06 08:51 AM

Thanks guys. I found a site that listed all the states with Dish Tax. California had it for one year and was removed. So, as of now, no tax. :)

Hey BobDole42 - I assume you do not like DishNetwork? I have had both before and definately preferred DirecTv. But I am on a budget and DishNetwork has one hellofa deal at $19.99 per month for AT60 for 10 months. And I REALLY want to see my football!

BobDole42 08-27-06 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Thanks guys. I found a site that listed all the states with Dish Tax. California had it for one year and was removed. So, as of now, no tax. :)

Hey BobDole42 - I assume you do not like DishNetwork? I have had both before and definately preferred DirecTv. But I am on a budget and DishNetwork has one hellofa deal at $19.99 per month for AT60 for 10 months. And I REALLY want to see my football!

DishNetwork seems great. I was just making a lame joke about the thread you deleted when people started bashing Bose :) $20 a month sounds like a hell of a deal!

Sdallnct 08-27-06 09:38 AM

In Texas we have some taxes and fees but pretty much the same ones as cable. So if you were debating between the two, the taxes and fees are a wash.

BTW, we LOVE Dishnetwork. I had always been a cable guy (digitial), but Comcast broke six appointments with out calling (not kidding) so when I set the last appointment with them, I also set with with Dishnetwork. Dish showed up on a 4th of July and installed everything perfect and I love it. Would never go back.

Funny part, Cable guy called to say he was running (this was july 5th as they would not work on the 4th). I just said "whatever". He then called several hours later to to say he not make it all and that I would need to call back to set another appointment. I thanked him for calling (this time). I never called comcast back, about a month later they call me telling me they have an "open ticket", I tell them fine. When they ask if I want to set an appointment, I say "whatever". They ask if I have service with someone else, I say "that it is not their business" and they actually start getting upset with me, so I just hung up. Now three years later every now and then I get a call from them about my "open ticket", I just tell them to do whatever they want to do. You think they would have gotten the hint when within 6 months or so I dropped cable HSI to go DSL.

Jolard 08-31-06 04:12 PM

Dish Network does have some fees, but it depends on your setup.

If you don't have your receiver hooked up to a phone line, you can get a $5 fee tacked onto your bill.

If you have a DVR (except for a few very old purchased DVR's) you will also get a DVR fee, I believe it is $6 a month.

If you have additional receivers above the first one, you generally get a per receiver fee.

All of the fees are waived if you have their Platinum pack (the top tier) but then again that is very expensive.

I have Dish though, and I LOVE it. I have a VIP622 HD DVR with three in built tuners (2 satellite, one OTA) and it is incredible, and works really well. I have Dish's Silver HD pack, and it has more HD channels than any other provider can offer today.

It is a good deal.