Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV Burn in

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV Burn in

is this still an issue or is it least common now days?
Old 08-11-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
That would depend on the set but generally if the contrast is set at a reasonable level and you are not keeping graphics on the screen 24/7 you should ot have a problem.
Old 08-12-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With all the digital technologies, it cannot be an issue at all, even if you were to crank up the TV's settings so you could see nothing but white. LCD, DLP, LCOS.
Old 08-12-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, Brian and Spiky are both correct. Don't worry about burn-in - just enjoy your tv.
Old 08-13-06, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
With all the digital technologies, it cannot be an issue at all, even if you were to crank up the TV's settings so you could see nothing but white. LCD, DLP, LCOS.
Using a a completely all white image to try to get burn-in wouldn't show burn-in with an image even if it did burn-in though, because it would be an even wear pattern. For burn-in to show it has to be uneven wear on the otherwise evenly worn picture. Logos, windows taskbars and static text left on for far too long is what normally causes burn-in with CRTs.

Plasmas can get burn-in and LCDs can also get something similar called "Image persistance", but it's quite a bit harder for LCDs from what I've read (in most cases very unlikely), but definitely not impossible. Of course with LCD it's referred to as "image persistance" since I believe it can be fixed unlike CRT or plasma burn-in:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00D2ll

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic2160.html

DLP is 100% immuned though.
Old 08-13-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Image persistence is a memory effect in the liquid crystal. It goes away with a couple power cycles, which actually means running screens of each color through the LCD. Not unlike the ocean washing away footprints in the sand. Or getting rid of a static electricity charge by touching a doorknob.

Some LCD projectors have cheap polarizers in them, which can have a sort of burn effect after many hours of use. Some call this burn-in, but it is very different from CRT burn-in, and is only found with cheap materials. It is not specific images that are "burnt", but rather a hazy discoloration of the polarizer. The polarizer is a little piece of plastic that the light passes through (I think these give the color in a 3 LCD PJ), and it can be replaced if damaged in this way.
Old 08-14-06, 03:35 AM
Banned

This is really only a problem with plasmas. A lot of plasma owners have a lot of issues with burn in, and a lot dont. I know i did. If you game, plasmas are far from the prefered type of tv, but i hear panasonics are better then others. Ever since i went with a front projector, i cannot even imagine in the SLIGHTEST dumping $$$ into anything else. Im playing xbox 360 on a 92" screen and using the PC at 1920x1080 on it, im tellin ya, its OUTSTANDING. And this is a 480p projector too.