Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Double black lines on my LCD?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, the title doesn't even fully make sense but hopefully someone can come to my aid.

I've got a Sony 50" Wega LCD, purchased from CC in March. When I'm watching anything that involves black bars (i.e. 4x3 "HD" programming, 2:35.1 aspect ratio films) there is what looks like a clear "strip" above the black bars. Almost like a double line extending about 1/4-1/2" above the black bars. Now I had some boob from their tech dept out to check it out and he claimed that it was "coming from the source" and probably was "information encoded in the disc or television broadcast". Needless to say I don't think he was able to grasp exactly what the issue was. I'm having CC send another tech out this week but I'm doubtful he's going to have a solution either. So long story short is this a common issue with this particular set? Should I demand an exchange or is this really a common issue with all HD sets? I really just want to know what it is so I can sound a bit more like I know what I'm talking about next time I have to call CC. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 08-06-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a different Sony warranty service provider in town to check it out? And is this with DVD, TV, etc?

If this is visible with every source, then it is probably not in the signal, and you want to push to get the TV checked out more. If it is just one or 2 channels, it could be the messy edge of the signal as sent from the network, and your overscan is set really low so you can see it, that would be normal, and adjusting overscan is the fix. Or if it is only from your cable box (or DVDp, whatever), maybe the box could be doing something weird and needs to be checked out.
Old 08-07-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If it is in fact the overscan do you know how I would go about correcting it?
Old 08-07-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And it happens on DVD and TV. So I know it isn't exclusively one or the other. I called Sony and they didn't even know what I was talking about.
Old 08-07-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really sounds like an issue with your TV if it is on all sources. Overscan is a broadcast TV issue, and would change with each channel you watched, and should not be an issue with DVD at all. So if it is even across all channels, plus DVD, it is something else. I think you need a repair guy out again. Good luck.