Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player with built-in 5.1 output - how does this work?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get 5.1 sound without having to spend nearly $300 for a receiver. This player caught my eye:

http://www.daytek.ca/dv5601.html

And features these specs:

AUDIO & VIDEO OUTPUT

# 1 x 5.1 Ch. Audio
# 1 x Coaxial Digital Audio Output
# 1 x HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
# 1 x S-Video
# 1 x Composite Video Output (AV)
# 1 x Component Video Output (Y-Cb-Cr)

Would I still need a 5.1 receiver to use this, or could I use my already existing stereos with aux inputs?

This player also features built-in Dolby and DTS decoders, so that isn't the issue...or is it?

Could I use a player like this to get surround on the cheap?
Old 07-23-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have 5 amp channels already, you can get 5.1 a DVDp that decodes (like the one you linked) and just use the 5.1 channel output. But you really need a preamp or receiver for a volume control, straight amps won't cut it, neither will a stereo receiver since that is only 2 channels. I suppose 3 stereo receivers would work, but it would be a pain to raise the volume.
Old 07-23-06, 10:21 PM

Volume would be an issue, but since I like adjusting the different channel levels (I have 5.1 audio on my PC, and prefer more aggressive rear surrounds) I'm sure I could work out some sort of method.

I'm glad to know that it's possible to avoid the cost of an actual receiver.
Old 07-24-06, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I'm glad to know that it's possible to avoid the cost of an actual receiver.
Sorry, but you will need either a receiver, an integrated amp (kind of like a receiver without the AM/FM tuner) or separate amp/preamp, which likely to cost more than a decent entry-level receiver.

The DVD player you linked to only has line-level outputs. They will have to be amplified in some way.
Old 07-24-06, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The DVD player you linked to only has line-level outputs. They will have to be amplified in some way.
But if I connect standard stereo systems to it (with AUX input jacks)
I could amplify them that way - as I said, I like the idea of controlling the channel volume (front only or rear only) on their own, as I sometimes prefer to hear them above or below their default levels depending on what I'm listening to. Sure it's more volume dial turning, but that's fine by me, as I would only have to buy the player itself.
Old 07-24-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
But if I connect standard stereo systems to it (with AUX input jacks)
I could amplify them that way - as I said, I like the idea of controlling the channel volume (front only or rear only) on their own, as I sometimes prefer to hear them above or below their default levels depending on what I'm listening to. Sure it's more volume dial turning, but that's fine by me, as I would only have to buy the player itself.
You realize you could probably walk to BestBuy, plunk down $100 and get a receiver that allows you to control the volume on the rears right? I keep mine at +1.5dB due to their size and location.

Also if you're buying a new receiver, they all decode DD and dts so you can probably save a few bucks buying a cheaper DVD player that just passes the signal along through a TosLink optical connector. You can buy one of those off eBay for around $3 shipped and then you won't have to worry about 6 cables between your DVD player and your receiver(s).
Old 07-24-06, 11:50 AM

In Canada, the cheapest receivers I've seen (at least in stores near me) are between $299 - $499, with used receivers around $150 - $200, and most of those used ones I've seen don't even work properly.

The player I linked is an upconverting DVD player for $100, but there's also a normal progressive one similar, for only $50.

Surround on the cheap.

I could just continue using the 5.1 on my PC, but this player would be for the living room, and not used as often as the PC.
Old 07-24-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't realize you were in Canada. I checked the BestBuy.ca site and the prices there seemed to be a lot higher. You can get a 5.1 receiver in the US at BB for $150 cheapest at BB.ca was $299CDN.

I'm not sure if crutchfield will sell to canada, but you could get something like this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rl78xhs...0&I=158STDG500
which should work out to about $200CDN

Then there's this which only decodes DD and not dts, but I'm not sure if you really care all that much:
http://www.buy.com/prod/Sherwood_RD_...201936994.html
Old 07-24-06, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Didn't realize you were in Canada. I checked the BestBuy.ca site and the prices there seemed to be a lot higher. You can get a 5.1 receiver in the US at BB for $150 cheapest at BB.ca was $299CDN.

I'm not sure if crutchfield will sell to canada, but you could get something like this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rl78xhs...0&I=158STDG500
which should work out to about $200CDN

Then there's this which only decodes DD and not dts, but I'm not sure if you really care all that much:
http://www.buy.com/prod/Sherwood_RD_...201936994.html

Thanks for the links. I'm hoping to get a 26" HDTV next month, so I could take advantage of my computer's audio with the wider, larger screen. 26" being the biggest I may be able to afford without going to a crappy brand, so getting an actual receiver will have to wait a while.

Thanks to different media players and audio codecs, I enjoy DTS on my PC. A lot. Sometimes too much.