Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

High quality coaxial cable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm having a problem with my new home theatre setup. I used to have just a small TV in this room, which was right next to the cable outlet. I always had this problem where all channels came in great, except 62 (the cartoon network) which is the one I watch the most. At some point, I was able to fix the problem by replacing the coaxial cable with a high quality one that I found laying around the house.

Now that I've upgraded this spare bedroom into a home theatre room, the cable box is too far away from the outlet for the good cable to reach. I've tried a couple of other cables, and they all give a really crappy reception to channel 62. I've even ordered a nice cable from Monoprice, with the gold connectors... it works better, but there's still image quality problems.

I wish I knew where that good cable I had came from. Anyone have any ideas where I can get some good coaxial cable? Do I have to buy something from Monster? (ugh)
Old 06-29-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy some Belkin RG-6 in whatever length you need it and put your own connectors on it.
Old 06-29-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Buy some Belkin RG-6 in whatever length you need it and put your own connectors on it.
Although DIY is boss, the cable company should give this to you for free. I've never had any aftermarket coax cable work as well as the stuff from Comcast. Just give them a call, they will give you as much as you need for free.
Old 06-30-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And DON'T buy Monster. Their prepackaged interconnects are lesser quality, in reality. Their bulk coax (which most people never see, but is probably behind the counter somewhere) is possibly just as good as what the cable company will give you, certainly not better.
Old 06-30-06, 07:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I'm having a problem with my new home theatre setup. I used to have just a small TV in this room, which was right next to the cable outlet. I always had this problem where all channels came in great, except 62 (the cartoon network) which is the one I watch the most. At some point, I was able to fix the problem by replacing the coaxial cable with a high quality one that I found laying around the house.
Have you mentioned the problem to your cable company? It may be that the signal isn't as strong as it should be when it enters the house. Another potential is checking any splitters that are in place. If they are in bad shape, replacing them may help with the picture.
Old 06-30-06, 10:01 AM
Banned

The problem may not be the coaxial cables at all. It could be signal inconsistancies, transmitting from the cable company at various times.