Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

simulated surround sound, how good is it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in an apartment and my living room is fairly small. I want to get something that sounds good in the space but at the same doesn't cause my neighbors to hate me. I've seen a few things about simulated surround sound where you have 1 piece that has 5 speakers and somehow tricks your ears into thinking the sound is coming from the left/right and behind you. Anyone know about this? I tried to do a Google search - hoping to find a comparison site but didn't find anything. How many different units are around? I've only seen two:
A few systems from a company called Niro: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...oreference.htm

and a system from sharp:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...tem-180704.php

Thanks in advance,
-b.
Old 06-20-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As far as I know, it's pretty sucky - it sounds like surround when you face the speakers, and the moment you turn your face away, the effect is gone.

I'd recommend a small HTIB and lower the volume (especially the sub) during watching movie.
Old 06-20-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Generally you have 2 speakers up front, and some processing makes the 2 sound like surround. But you have to be right in the middle of the speakers to hear it, if you move left or right of them, the effect disappears, and might sound worse than simple stereo. If the speakers are close together (like my parents' 26" LCD TV) then the spot you have to sit in can be tiny, as eedoon suggested.

The systems you linked are essentially 2 speaker systems. Many TVs have SRS or other such systems built into them, too. Or DVD players will, often labeled VSS or something similar. Might not be worth buying a separate system if you already have it to try out.

Some companies have made bigger setups with more speakers that can do this a little more effectively. Yamaha's YSP series is one.

None of these can really match 5 real speakers in the correct positions, but they can be better than stereo.
Old 06-20-06, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I need to go traditional HT shopping.
Old 06-21-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what about those 3.1 systems, they might be more expensive, I heard the bose one and it didn't sound half bad but then again the price is up there.
Old 06-21-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by M2theAX
what about those 3.1 systems, they might be more expensive, I heard the bose one and it didn't sound half bad but then again the price is up there.
IMHO if this is compared to other small satellite systems it will be shown for the poor quality product that it is. The entire focus of this product is to get people that do not like speakers, wires and other things visible in their room. We refer to this as the SAF or spousal acceptance factor.
Old 06-21-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard that. Sounded just like the boom boxes one aisle over. Which may fit into 'not half bad'. But for the price??
Old 06-21-06, 11:38 AM

not really related but what about the rear wireless systems? Good? Bad? interfere with other equipment?
Old 06-21-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
not really related but what about the rear wireless systems? Good? Bad? interfere with other equipment?
I have never heard wireless equipment that sounds good. And wireless is really not quite correct, you still need to plug them in. Otherwise they take a bunch of "D" batteries.
Old 06-21-06, 12:15 PM

yeah i know. They plug into a junction box that is wireless, something like that. looking for less invasive way to get surround.
Hell, I might get headphones since its mostly me anyway.
Old 06-21-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are getting better, using 2.4GHz range. But even Apple's Airtunes keeps dropping signal and even crapping out.
Old 06-22-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

call me a paranoid schizo, but I'm not really fond of the idea of the signal traveling through your brain while you drive, use your cell phone, wireless products you use, and now while you watch a movie.
Old 06-24-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wireless speaker is fine as long as you have your aluminium foil hat on. But the sound will still be crappy.
Old 06-25-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

call me a paranoid schizo, but I'm not really fond of the idea of the signal traveling through your brain while you drive, use your cell phone, wireless products you use, and now while you watch a movie.
You do realize that there are already constant RF, electrical, magnetic, and several other kinds of waves zooming around the planet, right? The sun alone is sending enough different kinds of energy to scare the crap out of you if you are a paranoid schizo.
Old 07-03-06, 01:15 PM
Banned

You're far better off getting something that supports true surround sound (Dobly Digital or similar). I suspect you may be concerned about how loud a surround sound system can be. 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 surround sound systems have individual channels coming from each speaker, so you can get the surround effect no matter how low you set the volume (within reason). No doubt about it, you'll feel like you're in the middle of the action the louder the speakers are, but even with the volume a bit lower your brain will register the channel seperation and you'll simply feel like the sound is better.

There's a number of really good all-in-one systems that you'll probably enjoy. And for a reasonable price.
Old 07-03-06, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
IMHO if this is compared to other small satellite systems it will be shown for the poor quality product that it is. The entire focus of this product is to get people that do not like speakers, wires and other things visible in their room. We refer to this as the SAF or spousal acceptance factor.
Anyone heard KEF's KIT100 system? Not inexpensive but if size/space is a constraint...

Last edited by dleedlee; 07-03-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go to WalMart and find very inexpensive surround sound theaters out of the box. You can find them for $300 or less.
Old 07-06-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
simulated surround sound is nearly as good as a simulated orgasm.
Old 07-06-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
simulated surround sound is nearly as good as a simulated orgasm.
Qoute of the day.

regarding all those waves traveling around the earth, I had my house insulated with tinfoil