Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with subwoofer and receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Receiver: Onkyo SR-502
Subwoofer I want to get: Dayton 10" sub.

Anybody know what's the subwoofer's watters for the Onkyo SR-502? I downloaded the manual but it only states the speaker's watts: 75.

Reason I'm asking is that the 10" sub has a 125 watts, while the 12" has 150. If my receiver can handle 150 watts, then I'll go for the 12". Thanks.
Old 06-11-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The receiver doesn't need to handle the sub output. The receiver simply sends the LFE signal to the sub and the amp in the sub generates the sound. The receiver sends out 75watts per each of it's channels so if you were to buy a passive sub all you would get is the 75 watts from the receiver's amp. When you buy a powered sub the sub's amp takes the load off of the receiver's amp.
Old 06-12-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the difference between a passive sub and a powered sub? Is the one I want to get a powered sub? Thanks again.
Old 06-12-06, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts
A passive sub uses the power from your receiver/amp. A powered sub just takes the LFE signal from the receiver, and uses its own amp (usually mounted on the back of the sub) for power.

If you are asking if the sub picked out in your first post is powered, then yes.
If you are asking if you should purchase a powered sub, then my answer is still yes.

I don't know how big your listening room is, but I have a 10" powered sub. My living room is probably only about 15'x20'. I don't know the wattage of the sub either, but even with it turned way down, it puts out enough bass to rock everything.
Old 06-12-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay thanks.

After doing more research, I'm going to go with Bic Acoustech H -100. It can be had on ebay for about $215 including shipping (that's if the seller accepts my best offer. He did for members on avsforum).