Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I think I'm doing something wrong, I cant get my HTIB to sound right.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Onkyo LSV-955. I followed the instructions and everything looks to be exactly where its supposed to but the sound coming through the two front speakers sound so muffled and distorted big time, it sounds like a crappy subwoofer actually. i cant even get sound to the back two speakers. I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

I'm not the smartest when it comes to audio and this is still kinda new to me but I just bought a HTIB a couple weeks ago and set it up with no problems, I just returned it to buy the Onkyo LSV-955 instead.
Old 06-08-06, 11:54 PM
Banned

Precisely describe how, and where do you have your audio cables/jacks connected?
Old 06-09-06, 12:14 AM

I'm starting to think somethings wrong with the system. Everything is color coded and I'm like 99% positive I have everything plugged in right. I tried using both my 360 through it and the dvd player thats built into the receiver and they both sound so terrible. I don't think it's the speaker wire either.

The two front speakers are plugged into the R and L boxes with the title "front speakers" above them. And then the Back two and center speaker are in a box called surround sound. they are all color coted with the speakers and I'm almost positive everything is plugged in where its supposed to be.

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Precisely describe how, and where do you have your audio cables/jacks connected?
At first I didn't have the audio jacks anywhere because its a receiver and dvd player built in one and it still sounded the same as when I tried plugging it into a system selector.

EDIT:
Alright I got the two front speakers to sound good finally. The instructions kept telling me to plug them into speaker A slot and use speaker B if you wanted it in another room. Well I tried plugging them into speaker B and they sounded a whole lot better. Only problem is now I still cant get the rear two and the center speaker to make any noise at all. I'm positive these ones are in the right place because there is absolutely nowhere else to plug them in at.

Last edited by takingchase; 06-09-06 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 12:51 AM

according to this I have everything hooked up right, except now I have the front two speakers in slot B instead of A like the picture shows.

Old 06-09-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
B will not work, they must be in A.

Have you run the internal test tones? After following that procedure then try a disc.
Old 06-09-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If B works and nothing else, your main output could be damaged inside. Put the fronts back on A. Double check all the connections for frayed ends or loose connections. Then check the internal test tones like Brian said. If you get nothing, I'd guess it's DOA, exchange it. But if the test tones work fine, maybe your menus aren't set correctly to get sound from a DVD.
Old 06-09-06, 10:05 AM

how do I run internal test tones?
Old 06-09-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There should be a test mode. Usually just a button on the remote to get into it.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-09-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
There should be a test mode. Usually just a button on the remote to get into it.

Ah, I dont have a remote the guy forgot to send it to me. I bought it on ebay from a powerseller with only 2 negatives and they were about products missing and not about things not working. I think this thing is busted. The dvd player works great, the front to speakers sound right on B but I can't get the surround speakers to work or the front speakers to work properly where they are supposed to be.

Anyone with knowledge of ebay know if you can submit a complaint for you money back through paypal if the item doesn't work? It was described as "in good working condition" I know you can get your money back via paypal if they never send anything.
Old 06-09-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most on ebay are pawn shops or other used dealers. I'd start talking to him first, if he's a company he may actually work with you. Good luck.
Old 06-09-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by takingchase
Ah, I dont have a remote the guy forgot to send it to me. I bought it on ebay from a powerseller with only 2 negatives and they were about products missing and not about things not working. I think this thing is busted. The dvd player works great, the front to speakers sound right on B but I can't get the surround speakers to work or the front speakers to work properly where they are supposed to be.

Anyone with knowledge of ebay know if you can submit a complaint for you money back through paypal if the item doesn't work? It was described as "in good working condition" I know you can get your money back via paypal if they never send anything.
If the "A" speakers will not work then you are out of luck.

You can TRY to submit a complaint with EBAY and Paypal for an item "significantly not as described", but you may never get a refund as it is your word against the seller. I would try the seller first and see if he would take it back.
Old 06-09-06, 01:04 PM

Well I just hooked up the speakers to a friends receiver and the speakers seem to be just fine. It has to be the DVD/Receiver. In terms of sound quality how important is the receiver? What I'm getting at is if I have these decently good onkyo speakers and buy a cheap receiver is it going to sound like crap?
Old 06-09-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by takingchase
Well I just hooked up the speakers to a friends receiver and the speakers seem to be just fine. It has to be the DVD/Receiver. In terms of sound quality how important is the receiver? What I'm getting at is if I have these decently good onkyo speakers and buy a cheap receiver is it going to sound like crap?
All of the pieces are important but IMHO speakers are the most important part of a system. The best receiver in the world can't make bad speakers sound good.

If you are satisfied with the speakers then yes you should be able to purchase a receiver of your choice and go with that. Now having said that, if you buy a "cheap" receiver you may not still be happy with the sound of the speakers.

I have no idea where your budget stands but Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon make some very good quality entry level receivers.

You get what you pay for!
Old 06-09-06, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
All of the pieces are important but IMHO speakers are the most important part of a system. The best receiver in the world can't make bad speakers sound good.

If you are satisfied with the speakers then yes you should be able to purchase a receiver of your choice and go with that. Now having said that, if you buy a "cheap" receiver you may not still be happy with the sound of the speakers.

I have no idea where your budget stands but Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon make some very good quality entry level receivers.

You get what you pay for!

Thanks for the tip, I'm a pretty big fan of onkyo but I don't have too much cash. I'm just trying to get a decent setup for the next couple of years of college life and then I can move on to a more permanent good set. I'm going to try and call onkyo and see if they have any kind of service where I can send the dvd/receiver into them and pay for them to fix it.