Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Oppo DV-970HD

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by clappj
Thinking of picking up the current player with the DVI input, as I am guessing that the upcoming player will likely only have a HDMI connection. My Sony LCD TV has DVI, but no HDMI.

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know much about the quality of adaptors such as this one: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NKgH63D...i&i=119HDMIDVI ?
Perhaps that would be all I need if I was a buy an HDMI only model.
Adapters tend to be problematic with handshake issues. I would simply get a DVI to HDMI cable. Remember, all HDMI is in a DVI cable with audio wires.

Monoprice.com is your best and cheapest bet.
Old 06-07-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice to see Oppo use something like HQV.....though, of course, that would jack the price up quite a bit.

I tried out the 971....very good player, but the image was just a bit too soft for me...even though my display is fully calibrated and ISF'd.
Old 06-07-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Josh, as usual. A Monoprice cable is barely more money than the adapter and a better idea.
Old 06-14-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Oppo 970 shipped yesterday.

FedEx Ground from CA means an early next week arrival, however.
Old 06-14-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew
My Oppo 970 shipped yesterday.

FedEx Ground from CA means an early next week arrival, however.
Be sure to report back. BTW, I thought you were going with the 971?
Old 06-14-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See post #21.
Old 06-23-06, 04:12 PM

can anyone tell me if it's worth it to upgrade to the oppo? Right now I just have a Philips DVP642 and I've been kinda wanting a new player lately especially one that has hdmi so I don't have to use a system selector for my dvd and my xbox360. Is it worth dropping 150 on this player?
Old 06-24-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by takingchase
can anyone tell me if it's worth it to upgrade to the oppo? Right now I just have a Philips DVP642 and I've been kinda wanting a new player lately especially one that has hdmi so I don't have to use a system selector for my dvd and my xbox360. Is it worth dropping 150 on this player?
Only you can answer whether it is worth it.

I personally think tha the 642 is the biggest POS out there and wouldn't hestitate. But you have a better option anyway in your 360. There is a program from LIVE that will upconvert DVDs from the 360 itself. I would use that before spending the money.
Old 06-24-06, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Only you can answer whether it is worth it.

I personally think tha the 642 is the biggest POS out there and wouldn't hestitate. But you have a better option anyway in your 360. There is a program from LIVE that will upconvert DVDs from the 360 itself. I would use that before spending the money.

The only problem is that it only upcoverts through VGA and my tv doesn't have a VGA input, only component and HDMI as far as HD goes.

The other thing I was possibly thinking about was getting a HD-DVD player since it upconverts also but I really wanted to hold off on an HD-DVD player till they are cheaper and the format war is gone. I almost want to wait it out for the HD-DVD player but I really don't like this player I have now at all.
Old 06-24-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the 642 and agree it's fairly crappy.

I updated to this new Oppo 970 and it's a pretty huge improvement. I think it's the best picture I've ever seen out of the 5 or so players I've used over the years on my HDTV. I'm using this player as a tie over until I decide on a next gen player, it's been well worth the money so far. I would recommend it (with the point that just because it looks great on my TV doesn't mean it'll be great on yours!)
Old 06-24-06, 08:18 PM

Is anyone using the oppo (either model) with the Infocus 4805?

I'm really thinking about getting this player (more for the region free capabilities) and was curious as to how it looks on this projector.
Old 06-24-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by takingchase
The only problem is that it only upcoverts through VGA and my tv doesn't have a VGA input, only component and HDMI as far as HD goes.

The other thing I was possibly thinking about was getting a HD-DVD player since it upconverts also but I really wanted to hold off on an HD-DVD player till they are cheaper and the format war is gone. I almost want to wait it out for the HD-DVD player but I really don't like this player I have now at all.
Actually, still not an issue. You can get a VGA to HDMI cable from monoprice.
Old 06-24-06, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Actually, still not an issue. You can get a VGA to HDMI cable from monoprice.

Unfortunetly that wouldn't work because the output on the 360 is not vga. Microsoft would have to come out with a hdmi cable for me to be able to upscale it since there video output is their own custom shape for the system.
Old 06-25-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
Is anyone using the oppo (either model) with the Infocus 4805?

I'm really thinking about getting this player (more for the region free capabilities) and was curious as to how it looks on this projector.

I've been running the OPPO OPDV971H on my 4805 for about six months now. Once you follow a few tweaks (find 'em here), you'll find the picture to pretty much hold its own against a high def signal. These two components really work together well.
Old 06-25-06, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I've been running the OPPO OPDV971H on my 4805 for about six months now. Once you follow a few tweaks (find 'em here), you'll find the picture to pretty much hold its own against a high def signal. These two components really work together well.
Thanks a bunch for the info Mellish. I've been mulling over this for awhile now and it's nice to have clarification.
Old 08-03-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
So any word on Oppo's next flagship model?
Old 08-03-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So any word on Oppo's next flagship model?
The only things I've heard, so far:

• It'll have the same chipset as the machine it replaces.
• HDMI replaces DVI (natch')
• It will be black, not silver.
Old 08-03-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
The only things I've heard, so far:

• It'll have the same chipset as the machine it replaces.
• HDMI replaces DVI (natch')
• It will be black, not silver.
So we can expect the Foroudja chip again, right?
Old 08-04-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep.
Old 08-08-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool. Any word if they've found a way around the macroblocking issue, though?
Old 08-10-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 57" Sony CRT RPTV (KP-57WS520) that is fully calibrated and ISF'd. Note my input is based on film-based DVDs as that's all I watch on my player.

I A/B'd the 970 and 971 (via DVI/HDMI at 1080i). I went with the 970.

The 970 has a sharper and more defined image - more pleasing to me than the 971 which is a bit softer. The 970 does show very slightly more artifacts (as is usually the case with a sharper image in general). Colors, black levels, lack of EE, etc. were the same on both players. Other than this, both players have a very similar image....they do share the same MPEG decoder and Oppo clearly put forth equal effort into both (they both avoid: black and white clipping, YC delay, excessive picture cropping, etc.).

In addition, from what I've read, Faroudja seems to work a little better with progressive outputs instead of interlaced (1080i in my case).

Also, despite thorough calibration, I could not get rid of some of the slight macroblocking in dark scenes with the 971. This was the real deal closer for me.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with the 970. It reminds me a lot of the upconversion on the Toshiba HD-A1. The 970 performs even better than more expensive players I've tried.

The only drawback of the 970 is the very slight vertical image compression when it upscales. Oppo tells me they are working on a firmware fix for it.

Finally, the 970 has excellent 480p component output. While I no longer have my Panasonic XP-30 to A/B, this player is most likely in its class with film-based DVDs.