Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ok, need a cheapy receiver but have specific needs..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres the deal. I need a receiver that does the following:

Component switching
S-Video in
and Upconverts from S-Video to component

I'd like 5.1 in from multiple sources if possible. (Satellite/DVD Player/Xbox 360).

To be 100% honest, i dont give a crap about sound quality from it (buying 2 of these receivers, the outside tv will be using 2 polk audio speakers, the other will be using just headphones).

Price wise, id like to spend 2-250, but less is always more in this case =)

Ive checked best buy but didnt see much on there, and its so tough to search so many things on AVS. So if anyone has any ideas, please, let me know.

If someone has a question regarding why sound quality doesnt mean much to me, it never has. I am always happy with stereo sound it seems, super easy to please in that regard. I also find the 5.1 and higher setups such a chore to install, run wires, calibrates, etc.
Old 06-01-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that price range. The Yamaha will do what you want but not at that price.
Old 06-01-06, 07:28 AM
Banned

Your local Best Buy could be sold out of this item, but they have a Pioneer 7.1 receiver on sale this week for $179.99, and also, Circuit City have a Sherwood receiver for only $129.99. If both receivers are out of stock, you can asked for a raincheck. You may be able to find something even cheaper from a used buy and trade store, and pawn shops in your area if available. Online stores such as: Ebay, and Half.com is another choice to consider.
Old 06-01-06, 05:20 PM
Banned

Single104

Im heading to best buy in a few, i will check once there.

Brian

What kind of pricing will i be heading to? 300? 400?
Old 06-01-06, 05:32 PM
Cool New Member

I'm no expert on home theater receivers, but I was wondering... if you are just using them for stereo sound, why do you need multiple 5.1 inputs? Is it naive for me to suggest using analog stereo ins and outs for what will, in the end, be 2-channel stereo sound anyway?

Of course, if you are intending to downconvert 5.1 tracks to 2-channel stereo, that makes more sense.

By the way, stereo sound is not automatically mediocre quality compared to 5.1. Some people spend many hundreds of dollars on a mere stereo receiver.

Last edited by J-Log; 06-01-06 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J-Log
Of course, if you are intending to downconvert 5.1 tracks to 2-channel stereo, that makes more sense.
That is the plan!
Old 06-01-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It is the video upconversion that is driving up the price IMHO, I think the retail for the Yamaha is $499 but you should be able to get a discount
Old 06-01-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
What's the entry level Onkyo going for these days (should be a 503?). I think you can that right around your price range.

The Pio is a solid unit, as is the Yamaha. I've always prefered Onkyo myself, but then again, if I had an Outlaw, I'd probably think differently.
Old 06-02-06, 01:57 PM
LiK

i agree with some folks here, get a yamaha for a receiver, good price and great quality