Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good Value for Component Cables

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Good Value for Component Cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Value for Component Cables?

Anyone able to recommend a Good Value deal for some component cables?

Need to connect a Progressive Scan DVD player to my 37'' LCD flat screen. Would prefer something I could get @ a B&M but online would be okay too.

Thanks!

Last edited by boobietheclown; 04-25-06 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Added question mark to subject line.
Old 04-25-06, 01:57 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Radio Shack should have some. I have several from RS and they work fine.

Check out monoprice.com for online.
Old 04-25-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by boobietheclown
Anyone able to recommend a Good Value deal for some component cables?

Need to connect a Progressive Scan DVD player to my 37'' LCD flat screen. Would prefer something I could get @ a B&M but online would be okay too.

Thanks!
I guess that would depend on what you think a good value is. I wired some of my theater with Better Cables, available on the net. On the other hand you could probably walk into any store and check to see what brands and prices they have in the length you need.
Old 04-25-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me a good value would be getting some quality cables but not paying too high a price. For example, Monster cables always seem to be pretty expensive to me...BUT...if i'm getting an exceptional product for the money I don't mind.

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monoprice is just as good as monster and about 1/10th the price
Old 04-25-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Another vote vote for monoprice. Good quality, best price you'll find and maybe 2-3 day delivery. If you need them tonight, go b&m.
Old 04-25-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys - sounds like monoprice is the way to go!
Old 04-26-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody have any opinions on these component cables vs. the monoprice ones?

They're at a2zcables.com. I've used a2zcables before and they were first rate stuff, but now they're using Belden and Canare cables. Looks good, but definitely higher priced than monoprice.
Old 04-26-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monoprice pros: price, flexibility
a2z pros: better construction, refering to both the solid conductor and the Canare connectors

I doubt many could justify the extra cost. Monoprice's are very similar to most Monster Cable, which usually cost more than the a2z cables. So Monoprice's are not junk by any means. a2z's are technically superior, but that doesn't mean you will see a difference onscreen when using them. Both should be good enough to cause no signal damage for regular length runs. (meaning less than 50')

I am temporarily using a 15' A/V Monster Cable (can't even remember where I got this) for component that is inferior to either of these. When I tested it with HD signals, I couldn't tell the difference between it and HDMI.
Old 04-27-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Monoprice pros: price, flexibility
a2z pros: better construction, refering to both the solid conductor and the Canare connectors
I'll probably give monoprice a try then. I had a long (60' run) of component cable that I got from a2z, but left it when I moved because it was in the walls.

I need another one to reinstall my projector and was trying to see if I should get the a2z over the monoprice component cable. If the a2z isn't worth the extra cost (12 foot run this time) then I may get the monoprice especially since HDMI will replace it eventually.

Are these monoprice cables suitable for audio interconnect (from processor to amp) from monoprice: link? The a2z equivalent being this one: link
I'm going to replace all my audio interconnects.

I'll also need an interconnect from the processor to a powered sub... I assume the same type of interconnect would work there (but I'll need one about 15 foot long for that one).

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Monoprice is a coax, should be the same as their video cable, just labeled for digital audio. a2z's that you posted is an analog audio cable. It doesn't appear that Monoprice has an upper end analog audio cable, just the cheap, thin crap like what comes in the box with a DVDp.

I don't know. Some say an analog cable should be twisted-pair construction, like Belden 1800. I assume a better twisted-pair is what the a2z cable is from the capacitance they list. Others say that video cable should be just fine, since it is actually designed with better specs since video is higher frequency and bandwidth. I ended up using a stranded conductor coaxial RG-59 kind of cable for analog audio, similar to Monoprice's. I've had no complaints. But then, I really haven't had any complaints with the cheap crap, either. Except that it looks like cheap crap. Analog audio is ridiculously easy to transfer, high-end audio cables are mostly smoke and snake oil.

You may want to look at ramelectronics.com for another midrange cable source. Their prices are closer to Monoprice, with somewhat fancier materials.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/s...io_cables.html
Old 05-06-06, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

See what others say, but for the size TV you have, you could probably walk into Walmart or Target and get the basic model (GE) for $10-15 and be satisfied. Consider doing this: since Target would have both the Monster brand and the GE, purchase both of them (after confirming that you could return the Monster cable for full refund). Get home; carefully unpack the Monster packing (so you could reseal it decently for the refund) and then try both the GE and Monster at home. I'm guessing you'll see no difference between them and you'll return the Monster and keep the $10 GE cable. Good luck.